Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old November 19th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
jaz0nj4ckal Citizen
Default Armor benefits degrade

Folks:
Once again it has been a good while since I posted, which is due to my game sessions not getting the proper game play. Seems like my group members are going through rocky time as keeping a schedule, so we have not been playing that much.

However, we did get some good action in this past weekend, which had me thinking about the following:

Armor benefits being reduced by damage

Has anyone toyed with the idea of reducing the benefits that armor provides after so many deflected shots? I like the idea of armor reducing the chances to hit; however, I want to force my players to keep an eye on their equipment more. The latter is due to the environment the group is playing, and I believe could make for additional roll-playing elements due to quality of equipment between PC/NPC or even PC/PC.

Thanks
Old November 19th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
Has anyone toyed with the idea of reducing the benefits that armor provides after so many deflected shots?
sure. especially for ship damage.

for a "realistic" application -

put simply one must 1) decide how wide and how deep any damage by any particular weapon will do to any particular material to be considered and 2) sub-dividing the armor in question into relevant segments and 3) determining which armor segment is impacted by said weapon and 4) keeping track of the damage to that segment. this can be as rigorously deterministic or as seat-of-the-pants intuitive as you like.

this also leads to other issues such as target aspect cross-section - for example a human target face-on will have more "available target area" than sideways. one must also account for cover, such as looking around a pillar or other such. if you do this then players will immediately game the system - "take cover" - which is what real soldiers do anyway but it will increase your game time.

for a "just wing it" application -

so many general hits degrades general armor modifiers for all general future hits. you decide what they are.

for an example of how this can play out, in one game a wounded terrorist with a failing laser weapon set it to general wide-beam and opaqued the marine opponent's face shield. the marine was blinded until he raised his face shield and was forced to fight with an exposed face.
Old November 19th, 2013, 09:35 PM

jaz0nj4ckal Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
sure. especially for ship damage.
for a "just wing it" application -

so many general hits degrades general armor modifiers for all general future hits. you decide what they are.

for an example of how this can play out, in one game a wounded terrorist with a failing laser weapon set it to general wide-beam and opaqued the marine opponent's face shield. the marine was blinded until he raised his face shield and was forced to fight with an exposed face.
I was thinking of using a "just wing it" method, since I like fast dice mechanics to focus on roll playing. However, I am unsure what a good number for a damage value would be.... I was toying with the idea of using the average based on weapons.

Thanks
Old November 19th, 2013, 10:25 PM

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
I was thinking of using a "just wing it" method, since I like fast dice mechanics to focus on roll playing.
I'm hip. try this:

2d6 for hit location
2 feet, 3 lower leg, 4-5 upper leg, 6-8 torso, 9 head, 10-11 arm, 12 hand
1d6 odd/even for left/right
damage roll combined with intuition for final damage

of course pre-game you will want to rigorously consider damage mechanism and likely effects on your idea of armor to guide your in-game intuition - in other words do the heavy work beforehand then play the game freely. for example major armor pieces such as breastplate and thigh-guards will be quite heavy and fluted to deflect incoming projectiles or liquids (which is what a plasma jet will be) - but the armor on the hands likely will be considerably thinner. and don't forget you don't need a table to roll dice to make a decision - the dice can do more than decide they can also guide.

sample: 3d6 damage roll 15, hit on the torso - moderate damage. 3d6 damage roll 9, hit on the hand - hand is gone. 3d6 damage roll 4 hit on the head - comms out.

other thoughts. imtu each marine platoon is accompanied by a navy armor technician in an effort to repair/maintain armor in the field as damage occurs. he also assists the corpsman in treating casualties. also a weapons tech - men are armored but weapons are not.
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:00 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

How do you know if armor blocked the hit, or if the target was completely missed?
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:28 AM

BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

If the shot would have hit the target but didn't because of the DMs from the armor......
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:23 AM

jaz0nj4ckal Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
How do you know if armor blocked the hit, or if the target was completely missed?
I was thinking of using a threshold value, which would be the difference between hitting and missing. I had a method similar to this for AD&D2e back in the day; however, this was in 1993, and all my AD&D items have been in storage since 2001-2002. Maybe I will rummage through storage this weekend.
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:34 AM

jaz0nj4ckal Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
If the shot would have hit the target but didn't because of the DMs from the armor......
Blackbat thanks for the idea - I didn't think of that, much appreciated. I was trying to remember my old AD&D2e method for doing this, which was a marginal value for missing. Think it went something like:

THAC0 roll missed by (1-2): armor protected but roll damage dice for amount of damage armor took, so it was just like getting hit.

THAC0 roll missed by (3-4): Armor protected, roll damage for value armor absorbed, but divided by 2, so armor only absorbs half damage.

THAC0 roll missed by (4<x): Complete miss

What I cant remember is the number of hit point or value points I gave to armor. If I remember correctly, I based the HP of armor off the Hit Dice Level/Level of the armorer who made it, which gave a new element to my games. My PCs were looking for master armor craftsman to have their armor created, which also gave flavor to the base armor types.
Old November 20th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz0nj4ckal View Post
Blackbat thanks for the idea - I didn't think of that, much appreciated. I was trying to remember my old AD&D2e method for doing this, which was a marginal value for missing. Think it went something like:

THAC0 roll missed by (1-2): armor protected but roll damage dice for amount of damage armor took, so it was just like getting hit.

THAC0 roll missed by (3-4): Armor protected, roll damage for value armor absorbed, but divided by 2, so armor only absorbs half damage.

THAC0 roll missed by (4<x): Complete miss

What I cant remember is the number of hit point or value points I gave to armor. If I remember correctly, I based the HP of armor off the Hit Dice Level/Level of the armorer who made it, which gave a new element to my games. My PCs were looking for master armor craftsman to have their armor created, which also gave flavor to the base armor types.
Not too dissimilar from Palladium.
Palladium, all to hit rolls were 4+. Any roll of ≥4 && <AR did damage to the armor's SDC; any roll of ≥ AR did damage straight to hit points.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:55 PM

jaz0nj4ckal Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Not too dissimilar from Palladium.
Palladium, all to hit rolls were 4+. Any roll of ≥4 && <AR did damage to the armor's SDC; any roll of ≥ AR did damage straight to hit points.
Wow... I never played anything by Palladium; however, I am pleased to see that I was not too far off from major rules.