Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Adventurers

Adventurers Tell us your Traveller character stats, skills, and details.

Old April 21st, 2019, 10:22 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
CaptRet Citizen+CaptRet Citizen+
Question Armor and Weapons As Mustering Out Benefits

What armor and weapons do you allow for mustering-out benefits ? Other than the more mundane (e.g. snub pistol, SMG, blade, flak vests, ballistic cloth clothing, etc.) do you allow military/naval service characters to exit with Gauss weaponry ? Combat Armor? Battle Dress ? My view is that certain items would be restricted (such as the PGMP and FGMP and Battle Dress), usable only by the State's military/naval forces and possibly available to sanctioned mercenary organizations. I don't see the Imperial Marines allowing a mustering-out character to take his/her suit of Battle Dress with him/her. Likewise, I think much of the "state of the art" weaponry (and any heavy weapons) and armor would have to be left in the armory. I think that what the character would be allowed to leave with would be personal weapons, and "military surplus" (i.e.obsolete to force's TL) armor and weapons. Accordingly, if a character from the TL-15 Imperial Marines or Army takes Combat Armor, it might be TL 11 or 12 (not the standard issue TL-14). (I'm torn regarding gauss weapons though.) And for lower tech forces, such as a planetary army/wet navy etc., s/he probably wouldn't be allowed to leave with higher tech weapons (higher tech lasers, gauss weapons, maybe not even the ACR) which would be "cutting edge" for that force. Thoughts ?
Old April 21st, 2019, 05:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

No armor at all, as that would make it difficult for civilian law enforcement agencies to deal with the individual. I do not allow personal energy weapons in my universe, so that issue is moot, but I would not allow those either, for the same reason. As for other weapons, nothing aside from standard projectile weapons. No gauss rifles or Advanced Combat Rifles either are permitted. Basically, what is in the Traveller Book and LBBs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old April 21st, 2019, 05:24 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I was in the British Army - they didn't give me the option of keeping my SLR, let alone the sterling smg and the browning 9mm they also trained me to use.

I limit mustering out weapon benefits to LBB1 stuff only.
Old April 21st, 2019, 07:15 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

I think it should be VERY milieu and situational driven.

For example, if you are mustering out from something like Pirates or Mercs, it would be reasonable to have something higher end, definitely not PGMP/FGMPs but maybe a lower end laser or rifle TL back 1-2, or a RAM GL. Tools of the trade as much as any repair kit/doctor instruments muster out.
If it's a libertarian or warrior honor society, probably something in the same ballpark.
Marine, Navy and Merchant, gauss/snub/laser pistols, accelerator weaponry, etc. and other ship security whatever would be appropriate.

A milieu where the service people are more like Swiss reserves would reasonably have military weaponry, but they would be limited to service functions and using them for 'personal business/defense' in any way would likely result in court martial and/or dismissal.

Probably the easiest thing to do is base available weaponry on the civilian LL of the government they were in the service of. Pirates, Rogues, criminals probably operate on LL0-1, Imperial space and most starports/star forces at LL-2, LL of the planet they served/mostly operate from, LL3 for Hunters and other interstellar civilian careers.
Old April 21st, 2019, 07:35 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Depends.

While I don't see any military giving away body armour, getting it from your friendly neighbourhood quartermaster, or declaring it destroyed and lost on a mission, and then caching it, seems a possibility.

However, there is a local tradition of demilitarizing used assault rifles and selling them to ex trained organized militia, since they expect a new generation of sidearms with presumably improved performance.

You could be looking at a forty year old gauss rifle, castrated to semi automatic.
Old April 22nd, 2019, 05:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

RandyB Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
I think it should be VERY milieu and situational driven.

For example, if you are mustering out from something like Pirates or Mercs, it would be reasonable to have something higher end, definitely not PGMP/FGMPs but maybe a lower end laser or rifle TL back 1-2, or a RAM GL. Tools of the trade as much as any repair kit/doctor instruments muster out.
If it's a libertarian or warrior honor society, probably something in the same ballpark.
Marine, Navy and Merchant, gauss/snub/laser pistols, accelerator weaponry, etc. and other ship security whatever would be appropriate.

A milieu where the service people are more like Swiss reserves would reasonably have military weaponry, but they would be limited to service functions and using them for 'personal business/defense' in any way would likely result in court martial and/or dismissal.

Probably the easiest thing to do is base available weaponry on the civilian LL of the government they were in the service of. Pirates, Rogues, criminals probably operate on LL0-1, Imperial space and most starports/star forces at LL-2, LL of the planet they served/mostly operate from, LL3 for Hunters and other interstellar civilian careers.
Agreed. If your interstellar government is closer to the 20th-21st century model of Western governments, then LBB1-Only is fitting - maybe the weapon was personally owned and retained, or purchased with mustering out funds. If your milieu has an interstellar government more closely resembling 19th century or earlier Western governments, then retaining military equipment on mustering out would be more in scope.
Old April 22nd, 2019, 06:58 PM

infojunky Citizen

I generally let players have whatever they can imagine, but consider that a bunch of weapons are going to very difficult to get through customs on a lot of worlds (Read Roleplaying opportunities). Then couple that to the cost and availability of parts for maintenance and repair. Note advanced ammunition also falls into those categories as well.

Also note I tend to keep my games at a Knife and Pistol level of conflict, Where Shotguns and SMGs are the heavy weapons. Over the years some variation of Snub Pistols have been the most common weapons.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 10:04 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
I limit mustering out weapon benefits to LBB1 stuff only.
So you would not allow a Snub Pistol (IIRC it's a LBB4 weapon)?

I see it as one of the most used weapons by space crews (even comercial ones), due to its zero-G use and tranquilizers capacity...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 11:32 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

I donno.

I'm beginning to doubt it's efficacy.

In game mechanic effects, it's slightly less effective than a Survivalist round, basically a twenty two long rifle, and apparently, our laws of war outlaw high explosive smallarms ammunition.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 11:58 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Quint Citizen+Quint Citizen+

Honestly, I never really worried about it that much, kept the PGMPs and the FGMP's off limits, but didn't worry about much else.

D.
Medal for Conspicuous Gallantry - The Pursuits at Menorb
IMTU aka "Traveller 2200" = tp++ tc+ mt+ mgt+ tne-- !3i he+