Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old July 13th, 2019, 07:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

Gallery : 0
CaptRet Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipla View Post
Well if the steward didn’t do it it’s one of the other servants. Unless of course you suspect Lady FitzSmythe of being complicit in her husband’s murder....

Actually that does sound like a fun concept a ship run like a regency estate. Rather than split the servants by gender (as irl) I’d probably have the captain as the ‘estate steward’ with the ‘steward’ and ‘technical’ teams under him (assuming the noble(s) are ‘passengers’ only). Could really get a regency drama going or branch it into an Edwardian murder mystery if your players aren’t fans of Austen.
I think it was Colonel Mustard (Imp. Marines, Ret.) in the dining room, with a candlestick.
Old July 16th, 2019, 01:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-8

Daidoji Dave Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Michael J Fox, The Concierge.

P G Wodehouse, Jeeves and Bertie Wooster series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
Any one of a number of problem solving butler characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDilbert View Post
Wodehouse's stories about Jeeves. There is even a TV series...
Speaking of butlers, this article has some ideas for a Steward character: https://www.gq.com/story/rich-billio...tlers-servants One big takeaway is you can be a servant without being subservient. Dignity is expected, even when dealing with ridiculous requests.

It's not the article I went looking for, though. I read something years ago that emphasized being prepared to handle requests and solve problems you hadn't been given a heads up for. So if your principle was going on a day trip on a yacht, the butler would, without ever saying anything, prepare for a longer trip in case it turned into one, and have everything he needed for that on hand.

At a meta-game level, if I was GMing I'd let a steward roll, well, Steward to have just the right thing on hand (small, reasonable, not guns or PC equipment) to meet a passenger request without tracking it. Kind of a min-ship's locker, but only for small sundry items, not adventuring equipment. If you're not the GM you may not get that, but you can get partway there by stocking extra liquor, tobacco, VR programs, needle and thread, a few books and games, and so on on your character sheet.
Old July 16th, 2019, 04:49 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 109
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

anyone ever run a game set on a large passenger liner and focusing on stewards?
Old July 16th, 2019, 06:54 PM

wbuthod Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
anyone ever run a game set on a large passenger liner and focusing on stewards?
I ran some sessions with players as the purser, security staff and maintenance crew of the ISCV King Richard (FASA). For the longest time, no player thought about the access and relative invisibility a steward enjoyed.

And yes, the butler did it.
Old July 16th, 2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I ran some sessions with players as the purser, security staff and maintenance crew
sounds cool. up to running another such game here?
Old Yesterday, 02:15 AM

wbuthod Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
sounds cool. up to running another such game here?
I've been considering running a game online, which would be a first for me. Never mind my last live game was almost 15 years ago. I worry whether I can manage the easy narrative style and timely turnarounds I've seen. Then there's my hemming and hawing over rules (leaning to CEFTL), platform (COTI PbP, Roll20, or Discord), and setting (3I/OTU, ATU, or "it's just one game - wing it").
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM

Quote:
a game online, which would be a first for me.
it's just one game, wing it.

more seriously it can be some work, but if you enjoy it then it's worth the effort. I already have two deckplans for pax liners, the Jewell and the Davis.

Last edited by flykiller; Yesterday at 10:01 PM..