Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Closed Thread

Old September 9th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Just ignore the new blueprints.

But engineering decks have to be recalculated, to fit in with the new formulas.
Old September 9th, 2016, 02:53 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Yes it IS A FRIKKIN' GAME, but a game with a lot of history and iconic subject matter. The new AHL deckplans smack of being a lazy attempt by someone not familiar at all with extant canon just producing any old tosh to fill a page.
And, frankly, it's not just "a game".

It started as a game.

But it is, in fact, a fictional universe within which games are emplaced.

Thus the passion for canon.

Canon is not, and never really has been, about mechanics. That's what a game is, mechanics.

It's about the Imperium, the galaxy it portrays, and the personalities within that galaxy.

And the AHL is one of those characters. It's been a central participant in several core story lines within canon.

So, yea, it is egregious for the current "keepers of canon" to retcon such fundamental characters so lazily and whimsically. it's not a different point of view, not a minor adjustment, it's a dramatic change.

And it's unnecessary.

But the true crime is it simply shows the lack of respect the current keepers have for canon. 40 years of development. It presents an attitude and character that I don't care for.

A simple statement "when someone shows you who they are, believe them."

They've shown us, and this is not the first example of such.
Old September 9th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

flg Citizen-

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
And, frankly, it's not just "a game".

It started as a game.
And it still is a game. Good grief, this really is not in the slightest bit important. I think some people are taking this rather more seriously than it deserves.

So big whoop, some deckplans changed in a book. If you prefer the old ones, keep using them - nobody's stopping you. If you don't, then use the new ones. It's not going to shatter the universe or anything if you do.
Old September 9th, 2016, 04:18 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
Jeez people.

I liked the old Frontier cruiser when the boxed game came out. It was an experiment in ship design by Traveller, a huge ship with maps for every 80+ decks. You just need to make some decks multiples needing the same map. It worked. It was unique but, for addition in any other book with deck plans, it was a horror to display. Suddenly just showing the representative decks was page count waster.
I always found the game quite playable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
I accept the new deck arraignment, however, if I were to run a game involving some special need or just wanted to use the old design, I would have no issue switching to it because I have the sheets. I could also use the new decks and not blink too.
Frankly, I'd have a problem on playing on those belly sitting maps, as I already told:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
From the purely gamer's (and probably game designer's too) POV:

The AHL is 84 deck long.

Assuming 3 m/deck, that makes it about 252 m long

At the scale the game is (1.5 m per 1/2" square), it eould need an about 84 inches (about 2.1 m) map (a litle more, as it must have some margin). And still you probably would need more than a single deck map in a game...

How many of us have a table where it could be played it at home? Not me, for sure...

This aside, the shape of the plans shown by Mongoose don't match with the original AHL.

And the Spinal mount should be all the spine long, not just less than half the ship long. That's what spinals are, using all the length of the ship to accelerate the particles.

This is not, in any way (not only the internal layout) our Azhanti. it's another cruiser. As I already said, should they not have used the Azhanti name will have avoided the rage of the old grognards, while will have no effect (neither good nor bad) on newbees...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old September 9th, 2016, 04:34 PM

Vargas Citizen

Quote:
x-boat tender springs to mind immediately, there may be others.
X-boats themselves.
Old September 9th, 2016, 04:45 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flg View Post
And it still is a game. Good grief, this really is not in the slightest bit important.
It is important to me, and to many others who have posted about it.

If MgT wants to set it's game in the Third Imperium then the least the authors could do is learn about the Third Imperium
Quote:
I think some people are taking this rather more seriously than it deserves.
It's an internet forum frequented by people who are very passionate about the game and setting.
Old September 9th, 2016, 05:05 PM

flg Citizen-

Quote:
If MgT wants to set it's game in the Third Imperium then the least the authors could do is learn about the Third Imperium
And yet this material was published with the approval of Marc Miller, was it not? So perhaps you should be asking him why he approved something that was different to what came before? (he's changing things wholesale himself in T5 after all.)

Quote:
It's an internet forum frequented by people who are very passionate about the game and setting.
Yes, and perhaps some would be better off stepping back a little and getting some perspective here. This is a ship plan in a book, it's not like the entire setting has been turned upside down (again, many of the changes in T5 are far greater than this and yet people don't complain because it's OK for MWM to change everything but not anybody else to make far smaller changes?).

At worst, just think of it as the plans being different in the MGT universe. Big deal.
Old September 9th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 2
Nightwind1 Citizen

Quote:
And yet this material was published with the approval of Marc Miller, was it not? So perhaps you should be asking him why he approved something that was different to what came before? (he's changing things wholesale himself in T5 after all.)

Yes, and perhaps some would be better off stepping back a little and getting some perspective here. This is a ship plan in a book, it's not like the entire setting has been turned upside down (again, many of the changes in T5 are far greater than this and yet people don't complain because it's OK for MWM to change everything but not anybody else to make far smaller changes?).

At worst, just think of it as the plans being different in the MGT universe. Big deal.
Or, y'know, since you really don't give a flying fig, you don't need to join our little bitch-fest.
Old September 9th, 2016, 05:27 PM

flg Citizen-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwind1 View Post
Or, y'know, since you really don't give a flying fig, you don't need to join our little bitch-fest.
So you'd rather rant about it than accept the possibility that MWM decided to accept this change, which is why it was published? (and apparently DonM was involved in some of these changes too, if the mongoose boards are to be believed).

Excuse me for trying to inject a little logic, reason, and perspective into all the wailing and gnashing of teeth here, I guess.
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
So you'd rather rant about it than accept the possibility that MWM decided to accept this change, which is why it was published? (and apparently DonM was involved in some of these changes too, if the mongoose boards are to be believed).

Excuse me for trying to inject a little logic, reason, and perspective into all the wailing and gnashing of teeth here, I guess.
Don did NOT review deck plans; they weren't done before he died.

Further Mongoose doesn't actually get everything reviewed. By labelling it a general product, rather than OTU specific, Mongoose avoids the whole approvals process.

Which Don and I commiserated about well before the MGT2 project got rolling at Mongoose.

The only canonical for the OTU materials from Mongoose are those that are labeled "Third Imperium" label. I fear Rob and I will wind up having to go through those with a fine tooth comb...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Closed Thread