Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old July 12th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 7
Icosahedron Citizen

IMTU most of my nanotech is in the form of objects made in laboratories, and nobody needs to know how big the apparatus is or how long the processes take, but the three main substances my players might get hold of (if they're very, very lucky (or unlucky )) are monofilament, nano-acid (think Alien blood) and nano-glue (like the example described above). And they won't get gallons of the stuff either. As FT said, if you've got one thimbleful of nano-acid, gained at huge risk and expense, when do you use it?
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:45 AM

Gallery : 0
saundby Citizen

Old hand training The Kid:

"See this paste? It's nanotech hull welder. You smear it on the seam to be sealed like this.

"Nanites need energy, so we've got a big pair of leads, here. Clip this one on the hull, the other holds a rod.

"The rod gives the nanites material to close the seam. Flip down your mask. Bring the rod toward one end of the seam. When you get an arc, the nanites will start to melt the hull material. Play the rod over where you want the seam closed, giving the nanites energy and material to work there. Try to work smoothly along the joint.

"If you run outta nanites, just get more out of this can marked Flux.

"Good luck, kid, I'll come check back on you after I see how the other kid is getting on with his nanites, stripping the paint off the forebody."
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

fiat_knox Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by saundby View Post
Old hand training The Kid:

"See this paste? It's nanotech hull welder. You smear it on the seam to be sealed like this ..."
Cast your minds back to 2002, and the pilot of Firefly, in the scene where the crew used a sticky substance to eat through the hull of a derelict ship to get at the contents in the sealed compartment, activating it with current run through a wire that was dispensed with the goo (which was visible through the clear paste).

The nanotech paste could be deployed as a structural element, the nanites themselves forming the substance of the bonding like an advanced form of molecular superglue, and using army ants as inspiration - a column of army ants can form a bridge or a bivouac, using individual ants as structural members to hold the structure of the bridge together or acting as a living stitch to zipper the edges of leaves together for shelter.
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Lycanorukke Citizen+Lycanorukke Citizen+Lycanorukke Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by saundby View Post
"If you run outta nanites, just get more out of this can marked Flux.

"Good luck, kid, I'll come check back on you after I see how the other kid is getting on with his nanites, stripping the paint off the forebody."
Of course you need to send someone off to get the "long weight" so as the nanites are properly aligned, and because of the nanite design a "left handed screwdriver" is required to open the tin they are in.
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:39 AM

saundby Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanorukke View Post
Of course you need to send someone off to get the "long weight" so as the nanites are properly aligned, and because of the nanite design a "left handed screwdriver" is required to open the tin they are in.

You'll want a skyhook and 50m of "shore line" to hang it by, as well. After work, we'll catch some of the local delicacy for dinner. It's called a critter called "snipe."
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

cyberknight Citizen
Default Um, Einstein is already out the window in Traveller.

We have Jump drive, reactionless thrusters and inertial compensators with zero physics to support them, all theoretically "impossible".

There is certainly nothing wrong with using a "new science" descriptive for any inexplicable tech that is "magic" for all intents and purposes.
Old July 16th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberknight View Post
We have Jump drive, reactionless thrusters and inertial compensators with zero physics to support them, all theoretically "impossible".

There is certainly nothing wrong with using a "new science" descriptive for any inexplicable tech that is "magic" for all intents and purposes.
and "3 magic items" is the limit for the SF Writer's Guild guidelines.

Jump drive, BTW, isn't wholly unsupported scientifically; it is supportable with string theory, which is making a bit of a resurgence.

Gravitics, as well, have shown some slight possibility, albeit not as lifters, but as gravity blockers.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:03 AM

Gallery : 7
Icosahedron Citizen

The key for me is the difference between the terms 'impossible' and 'unfeasible'.

IMTU I reject things that are impossible - ie the laws of physics specifically prohibit them - eg perpetual motion machines.

However, if something isn't specifically prohibited by physics, then I can use it - provided I can come up with a rationale for how it works. There must be a mechanism by which the process functions, and that mechanism must follow the laws of physics too.

For example, antigravity is not specifically prohibited by physics as we understand it (a prohibition may be discovered next week, but so might anti-grav itself.) However, since gravity follows an inverse square law, it is almost certain that antigrav will, too, and I can invent an imaginary 'new science' subset of physics that governs how it works.

OTOH, 'reactionless thrust' is prohibited by the laws of motion - its very name is a contradiction in terms. I'm not saying that a new thrust that appears to be reactionless won't be discovered, but it will react with the universe in some way. When I figure how such a device might interact with the universe to generate thrust, I'll use it in my game. I don't need to have a blueprint, but I need to know what principle it uses.

eg. a caveman sees an aircraft 'magically' levitate. The magic becomes science (albeit incomprehensible 'future' science) as soon as he understands about air pressure - he doesn't need to be able to design a 747 to be comfortable with the concept as non-magical.

Edit: Found it! Gell-Mann's Totalitarian Principle - "Anything which is not prohibited is compulsory".

Last edited by Icosahedron; July 17th, 2009 at 07:16 AM..
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM

rust Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icosahedron View Post
When I figure how such a device might interact with the universe to generate thrust, I'll use it in my game. I don't need to have a blueprint, but I need to know what principle it uses.
The maneuver drive emits delta-gravitons at very high speed. This type of
graviton is unstable, and therefore travels only a short distance before it de-
cays into three salton particles each, which spontaneously enter jump spa-
ce.

When you are closer than a few millimeters to a working maneuver drive, it
is obviously a reaction drive, but once you are farther away than that it is
indistinguishable from a "reactionless" drive because the particles involved in
the reaction are no longer a part of the Einsteinian universe.

By the way, the salton particles' spontaneous transfer to jump space is what
causes the blueish glow around the maneuver drive one does so often see
on pictures of starships.
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icosahedron View Post
When I figure how such a device might interact with the universe to generate thrust, I'll use it in my game. I don't need to have a blueprint, but I need to know what principle it uses.
It uses the surrounding massive bodies as reaction mass.
If you're in the gravity well of a planet, your M-Drive pushes against said planet. Ibid for a star.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.