Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Agent of the Imperium

Agent of the Imperium Discussion of Marc Miller's Novel, Agent of the Imperium.

Old August 10th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
the Fifth Frontier War was a dress-rehearsal for the Rebellion.
Less a dress rehearsal, and more of a dubious precedent. "The fans loved the 5FW, so we want to go bigger!"

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old August 10th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
After going through the early issues of JTAS, I have concluded that the Fifth Frontier War was a dress-rehearsal for the Rebellion.

(1) vast and plodding (note how many issues it takes from start to finish with no real action) -- check.

(2) PCs could never do anything about it -- check.
Except that 2 is false in both cases. Assassinate Norris, and the 5FW goes VERY different. Assassinate Santanocheev, and Norris no longer has the direct obligation to take over prosecution of the war.

In the case of the Rebellion, assassinations of Dulinor, Strephon (the real one), Norris, and/or Lucan can be done by PC's. Lucan, it's a suicide run and practically requires a pair of psionicists - one who's a noble and telepath, making his approach, and another who is a teleporter with a big gun and Special Drug.

I've had players assassinate Lucan in play.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:57 PM

Gallery : 1
inexorabletash has disabled reputation
Default Altered Worlds

Hey nitpickers,

What worlds were altered by the events in AOTI and are not captured in their new state except by unbelievable contortions on TravellerMap ?

For example, Zaru 0432 Lutyen (nee Trileen) seems correct.

Ch 1: Core 0707 Maaruur B684987-9 Hi In Sa Tu - the new world is a total mismatch. TM has E6921107 He Lo - which makes sense as a secondary world in the system elevated to mainworld, but with the name retained?

Ch 24: Zaru 0917 Deyis II E874000-0 Ba Da Re - this seems correct, but TM has (Kebkh) indicating a homeworld. Perhaps it needs the 'Di' code ?

Ch 12: Forn 2404 Kulabisha B68799A-9 Ga Hi - but should have been scoured of all life. TM has E6870000 which is fine. It mechanically rates Ga which is borderline plausible - the atmosphere has cooled off - but (as noted elsewhere in one of these threads) its stars may need tweaking.

Any others?
Old January 21st, 2017, 01:44 AM
Banned

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Arcanum/Deneb 2126 is okay. It was the world "bobbled" in 402 and the Red Zone from then is still in place at Traveller Map. (IIRC, MgT's Deneb sourcebook may now need a retcon.)

Daruka/Empty 2230 may be a problem. It had a "NILs Gone Nuts" plague in 410 and was Red Zoned. At Traveller Map, there's no Red or Amber Zone, no mention of the NILs, and the UWP hasn't changed one whit across the centuries.

Kutubba/Verge 3202 is okay. It had the undersea vulcanism event leading to climate change in 460 and was Amber Zoned. Traveller Map has it behind a Red Zone, the atmo and hydro spheres changed, population increased, and TL dropped.

Deyis II/Zaru 0917 is a problem despite the Traveller Map UWP being okay. It was scrubbed in 501 because of the fatal "happiness" parasite, but it's also the location of an MT adventure and a NIL.

Kulabisah/Fornast 2404 maybe a problem. It had a nova in 502, was partially evacuated, and had an Amber Zone imposed. At Traveller Map, it has no population and no travel restrictions, but shouldn't the star and/or companion have changed?

Sakaliin/Reft 3029 is most likely okay. It had a rogue AI in 530, was EMP'd, and had a "5 generation" watch put in place. At Traveller Map, the population dropped drastically while the TL went up one tick.

I agree that Trileen/Lutyen is okay. Trileen was scrubbed in 664 due a meme plague while previously barren world in the system was named Lutyen and made the mainworld.

Arcanum, Kutubba, Sakaliin, and Trileen/Lutyen are okay.

Daruka, Deyis II, and Kulabisah all have varying problems.

Last edited by Whipsnade; January 21st, 2017 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: formatting
Old January 21st, 2017, 03:28 AM

Thanks, Whipsnade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
Daruka/Empty 2230 may be a problem. It had a "NILs Gone Nuts" plague in 410 and was Red Zoned. At Traveller Map, there's no Red or Amber Zone, no mention of the NILs, and the UWP hasn't changed one whit across the centuries.
Hrm... There's "a Plexxan noble and a significant Plexxan population"; it's not clear that it's the Plexxan homeworld. We also don't learn the outcome, but relatively speaking it seems to be easily contained and the (majority?) Vilani population is apparently not impacted. So agreed with "may be a problem".

Quote:
Kulabisah/Fornast 2404 maybe a problem. It had a nova in 502, was partially evacuated, and had an Amber Zone imposed. At [i]Traveller Map[/]i, it has no population and no travel restrictions, but shouldn't the star and/or companion have changed?
See http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=35546 - a nova may not be a permanent alteration of the stars. It probably does need a stellar tweak, though.
Old January 21st, 2017, 05:18 AM
Banned

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by inexorabletash View Post
Thanks, Whipsnade!

No problem. It was a slow night and I had the book on hand to look at some of the various destinations to which Bland shipped his "hosts" from Reference.

Quote:
Hrm... There's "a Plexxan noble and a significant Plexxan population"; it's not clear that it's the Plexxan homeworld. We also don't learn the outcome, but relatively speaking it seems to be easily contained and the (majority?) Vilani population is apparently not impacted. So agreed with "may be a problem".
Hmmm... after reading that I'm leaning towards it not being a problem at all. Especially seeing as Daruka may not be the Plexxan homeworld. Still, there's no change at all between 410 and TM's default Classic Era date. (TM's date is 1105-ish, right?)

By the way, I'm really impressed by the fact that you've got Beauniture on TM!

Quote:
See http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=35546 - a nova may not be a permanent alteration of the stars. It probably does need a stellar tweak, though.
I thought it might, but I've no idea about what kind of tweak is needed.

While Deyis II is the biggest headache in AotI, it's not a headache for TM.

There's a "hiccup" of sorts when the scrubbing takes place. Bland later visits the system again, even setting up the astrofence project to do so. He recovers the Niikiik Luur archive there along with the genetic creche and later meets one of the few remaining Kebkh on Reference. It's obviously an important part of AotI.

In MT, on the other hand, the adventure which came with the GM's Screen has Deyis II with a lush biosphere complete with parrot dragons and a previously unsuspected native sophont species.

Given the thorough 501 scrubbing and the conditions described Bland's later 610 visit, I can't see how the planet could have recovered or been "repaired" by the Rebellion era.

I suspect the MT adventure will be retconned in some fashion.
Old January 21st, 2017, 02:31 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:

There's a "hiccup" of sorts when the scrubbing takes place. Bland later visits the system again, even setting up the astrofence project to do so. He recovers the Niikiik Luur archive there along with the genetic creche and later meets one of the few remaining Kebkh on Reference. It's obviously an important part of AotI.

In MT, on the other hand, the adventure which came with the GM's Screen has Deyis II with a lush biosphere complete with parrot dragons and a previously unsuspected native sophont species.

Given the thorough 501 scrubbing and the conditions described Bland's later 610 visit, I can't see how the planet could have recovered or been "repaired" by the Rebellion era.

I'd blame the (relatively nearby) Suerrat. Buncha sneaky closet terraformers.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old January 21st, 2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
By the way, I'm really impressed by the fact that you've got Beauniture on TM!
Marc asks, I deliver.

Quote:
... and later meets one of the few remaining Kebkh on Reference.
Ah, yes. So... they are not, in fact, extinct, hence no need for a Di code.
Old January 21st, 2017, 03:27 PM
Count

Gallery : 0
Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by inexorabletash View Post
If it was a nova, then it ought to have a close orbiting white dwarf companion in the system for the stellar material to accrete onto.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam
Old January 21st, 2017, 03:33 PM
Count

Gallery : 0
Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:

IIRC, the Kebkh on Deyis II were in origin the species that DGP intended to be the larval/immature form of their "Primordials", which of course never saw print. They are tenuously related to certain visions seen in the city in Knightfall I believe.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam