Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Traveller 5 > Traveller 5 > Pre-Release Discussion

Pre-Release Discussion Archive of the pre-release T5 Public

Old March 7th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
BytePro Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Modern game development only has a portion of its overall costs attributed to actual software development. It's a notable portion, but not the majority any more.

Most of the money goes in to asset (graphics, 3D models, motion capture, music, voice acting, writing) development, especially for games that use off the shelf engines for a majority of the mechanics.
Yes, but those things are frosting on the cake. Doesn't change the fact that software development takes time (and talent) and thus usually requires money.

Assets and marketing can be piss poor - and one can still have a usable product, just of lower quality and smaller market share. If, however, the critical path element - the development - is poor, the product can be unusable and never make it to market. One can publish a book despite all manner of errors - not generally so with software. Thus many software projects never see the light of day... after lots of delays and cost overruns.

BTW: There has been more than one licensed attempt at a Traveller MMO. A while back Mongoose announced a library product that never materialized. The creators of the MS-DOS games went belly up.
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 1
Otto Harkaman Citizen

I like these Vassal versions of the GDW boardgames that mycenae has designed. He has recently updated Snapshot and AZHL.
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Mod...High_Lightning
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Snapshot

I guess you wouldn't consider these computer games but they are computer gaming aides?
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BytePro View Post
Yes, but those things are frosting on the cake.
"Frosting" is content, and is just as important as code. Software design is not trivial, but even good software needs to be packaged for its target audience. This usually means sensible graphics and appropriate sound. And software designers are, generally, not graphic design artists or professional musicians. Some are, most are not.
Tools Link
Old March 7th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
BytePro Citizen

Of course 'Frosting' can be more important than code in differentiating market success.

But code is critical path - without working code, you have no product to market.
Old March 7th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

That's true. ALL concepts fail by not being complete enough to use, and there are lots of those failures out there.
Tools Link