Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Traveller 5 > Traveller 5 > Pre-Release Discussion

Pre-Release Discussion Archive of the pre-release T5 Public

Old January 28th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Visit Baltech Budapest's Blog
Baltech Budapest Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynak View Post
He must be open to computer games as I just stumbled onto a Traveller MMO site called Traveller6. It looks like it is still in its infancy (they are still recruiting programmers and developers).
Thanks for pointing that out. I hope Traveller6 Online becomes a reality.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Yavin_Prime Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nats View Post
Kids are great but you absolutely have no time to do anything. Mind you when they get older they are a ready made RPG group!
Yah my daughter is 1 right now but I hope to get her into games, she already wants to use my comp and iPad !
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nats View Post
Kids are great but you absolutely have no time to do anything. Mind you when they get older they are a ready made RPG group!
You must be doing something wrong... my kids have changed who I'll game with, but have never prevented me from gaming! Tho', for a while, the wife and I had to play in different groups.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:05 AM

rich4421972 Citizen

Seems like kids change, too. Sometimes I feel that they are natural born gamers. Ours can make a game out of anything and everything. I really miss being a kid.
Old March 4th, 2013, 05:08 PM

Spaceresearcher Citizen+Spaceresearcher Citizen+
Default TRAVELLER COMPUTER GAMES

Hello all,
Just to get back on topic, here is a list of all Traveller related computer games I know of:

1. Space(1982) (An ancient computer game, where the developers actually got a law suit against them because they didn't get approval to use the Traveller system. It was settled but I don't know where you can find the game anymore.

2. The Zhodani Conspiracy (1990) - This is now available for free from sites like: www.abandonia.com

3. Quest For The Ancients (1991) - The follow up game also available from the above site.

4. A further game was planned but never saw the light of day sadly. I think the box art is on one of the Traveller CDROMS, I'll try and locate it tonight.

All other software has been RPG development related for the main game and the best currently available and most popular seems to be the Campaign Cartographer 3 and the Cosmographer 3 software which is officially licensed.

It would certainly be great to have a new computer game. (Handy while waiting for further games).
Old March 4th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-2

Nyrax Citizen

New to the forums, but I LOVED the original Traveller PC games (Zhodani + Ancients) and the Traveller universe in general (though I'm a late adopter, as I never owned a set of LBBs). I've always thought of trying to work on a project that was Traveller-based. The closest thing I've found in the PC gaming world is probably Mass Effect, which just doesn't hit the mark. Expressed some interest in Traveller 6, but the project is somewhat on hiatus.

I'd love to know what would be involved in getting a Traveller PC game up and running again, give it a nice new front-end and poke all those gamers that haven't dug much into the PnP RPG world. Maybe start a Kickstarter for development? I helped kickstart another space sim recently hoping it'd be similar to what the old games were, but the more I hear, the less I think it'll happen. Oh well.
Old March 5th, 2013, 02:51 AM

Spaceresearcher Citizen+Spaceresearcher Citizen+
Default Megatraveller Game 3

Hello fellow Travellers,
I didn't have time to check this morning but the third Megatraveller game that was planned for a 1992 release from the same company that brought you 'The Zhodani Conspiracy' and 'Quest For The Ancients' where to produce the third game, which was titled: 'Unknown Worlds'.

The run down and plot for the game can be read by purchasing the official Megatraveller CDROM from www.farfuture.net and is under the Misc folder of that package. There you will find the details of all three of the games. As mentioned the first 2 can be downloaded from the link listed in my previous post for free and sadly the third was never developed to completion which is a shame.

I've thought about putting together a front end customized for Traveller to allow for a kind of 'Travellerbook'(yikes how terrible to relate it to Facebook, I know it's just not right) where players can play online, but then there's COTI right here so would it be worth it?

A first person perspective game is has an expensive development cost to do on a large scale(and with the kind of quality that people expect these days). I think another strategy type game similar to the original Megatraveller games but with todays better graphic capabilities and nice artwork would be the best bet. There's even engines that can be adapted and could feature the wonderful art of artists like Andrew Boulton for example. Then the fan developed CGI and animations could be incorporated to give nice inter game movies when certain goals are completed or carried out.

Maybe 'Unknown Worlds' could be brought to life by us fans.
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Citizen: SOC-2

Nyrax Citizen

Traveller is a game of infinite complexity - you can truly make the universe whatever you want it to be, with nearly endless variables from the simple things like UWP to race/class interactions, politics, trade, you name it. It almost lends itself to being -too- complicated for a PC game, which is why the early Megatraveller games were quite simplified. Simplicity comes with a certain charm. The people born into the Atari and NES days can probably all pick up one of those old action RPGs and play it through to completion. Hell, I installed DosBox just to run MT1 for PC in the last year, and although I didn't get too far in it before the game locked up, it was a ton of fun.

I don't think it's impossible for a group of people who invent universes of infinite complexity to create a game of finite complexity. When you put it that way, sounds like a cake walk.
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:51 AM

Bloo Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrax View Post
I'd love to know what would be involved in getting a Traveller PC game up and running again, give it a nice new front-end and poke all those gamers that haven't dug much into the PnP RPG world. Maybe start a Kickstarter for development? I helped kickstart another space sim recently hoping it'd be similar to what the old games were, but the more I hear, the less I think it'll happen. Oh well.
Computer game development is very expensive, as in millions if you want a triple-a release.
* So obviously something different going on at Mora than 1105 OBTU. And Dyani might be a duplicate.
Old March 6th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen
Default Games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
Computer game development is very expensive, as in millions if you want a triple-a release.
Completely agreed. But I would also add that a mature development team has a great deal more success than a disconnected matrix team. The problem is that many of the AAA groups are Game development organizations looking for funding for the next big Game...not starting from scratch.
Sarriiu of Depot, CORR1511 50 KB
Count Efate, SPIN1705, Mar Skull, SPIN2420
Knight Ngimi ANTA2535, Mar Syzygy SOLO3006
TAS LISH2836
http://corridordepot.blogspot.com/
Cry Havoc and let slip the VARGRs of war.
William Shakespeare's Revised Works,"Julius Caesar", Act 3 scene 1. MTU654