Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Cleon Memorial Library

The Cleon Memorial Library For discussion of Traveller fiction, both official and fan-written. Fan-written drafts are explicitly welcome.

Old November 10th, 2020, 11:40 AM
Baron

Gallery : 0
Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+
Default [Semi-OT] CritiqueCircle

Hey all, for those of us who want to improve our writing craft, (and some of us really need improvement!) CritiqueCircle is useful. You submit a story and get feedback from various other members.

There's a free level you can join at, and the system works on the concept of "credits". You start off with enough credits to submit one story and you can earn credits by critiquing other's work. Most of the pieces are in the 1K-3K range, and you need to write a decent (300+ words) critique, but it becomes easy to do after a few tries.
Old November 24th, 2020, 08:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Interesting. I just recently bought some writing software so I could write Traveller adventures.
Old December 8th, 2020, 03:03 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Tiikeri Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
Interesting. I just recently bought some writing software so I could write Traveller adventures.
Which writing software did you get?
Old December 8th, 2020, 11:55 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
Does it work? Did the software write Traveller adventures?
Old December 8th, 2020, 12:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 16
Proneutron Citizen+Proneutron Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitz View Post
Hey all, for those of us who want to improve our writing craft, (and some of us really need improvement!) CritiqueCircle is useful. You submit a story and get feedback from various other members.

There's a free level you can join at, and the system works on the concept of "credits". You start off with enough credits to submit one story and you can earn credits by critiquing other's work. Most of the pieces are in the 1K-3K range, and you need to write a decent (300+ words) critique, but it becomes easy to do after a few tries.
How many of the "critics" are successfully published authors?
Old December 9th, 2020, 02:14 AM
Knight

Fovean Citizen+Fovean Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
How many of the "critics" are successfully published authors?
Does that really matter? It seems the point of the OP was to offer an opportunity for new and unestablished writers to help each other and learn to grow together.

As someone who has written a Traveller adventure that was actually published, and then subsequently failed to deliver on more ambitious ideas, I’d say check it out before you throw shade.

Writing is hard. There’s no software that will make it easy.
Old December 10th, 2020, 09:50 PM
Baron

Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fovean View Post
Does that really matter? It seems the point of the OP was to offer an opportunity for new and unestablished writers to help each other and learn to grow together.

As someone who has written a Traveller adventure that was actually published, and then subsequently failed to deliver on more ambitious ideas, I’d say check it out before you throw shade.

Writing is hard. There’s no software that will make it easy.
I have gotten great insights because they do not think like me. They often catch descriptions I'm lacking (I can see it in my head, but never remembered to write it down) and let me know if each chapter holds their interest. While I might not be on the best-seller list (yet!) I'm producing fun stories that fit in a Traveller mindset.

Having a published author rave over my work would be nice, but it ain't likely to happen. I'm good with that, too. Have you read some of the published work out there? I've got books in my genre that I can't even get past a few chapters on. Good grief! One of them was "recommended by" an author I enjoy, and another one was actually by an author I read. It was just that book start and set up was not happening for me.

On the other hand, I have a guy on CC whose writing I enjoy and he gives me useful critique on my work. It's not "oh, you write so well" but "this doesn't make sense, explain it" stuff. Real gold, for us writers.
Old December 11th, 2020, 11:28 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitz View Post
On the other hand, I have a guy on CC whose writing I enjoy and he gives me useful critique on my work. It's not "oh, you write so well" but "this doesn't make sense, explain it" stuff. Real gold, for us writers.
And if nothing else, there's folks actually reading what you write. Which alone can be helpful, no matter how skilled the critic.
Old December 12th, 2020, 04:16 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Tiikeri Citizen

I pay good money to editors to tell me how bad my writing is.