Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old February 25th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 0
l_c_jackson Citizen
Default Your ideal Traveller scenario

Mongoose will soon be publishing my Traveller Scenario "Derelict", my small homage to Ridley Scott's "Alien". As I'm lazy and uninspired, I thought I would do some market research!

What types of Traveller scenario would you like to buy, trading/mercenary/exploratory/investigatory/other?

Are there certain careers ("Citizen" for example) that result in characters who don't have enough to do in the scenarios available?

What is your favourite existing commercial scenario and why?

What do you look for in a good Traveller scenario (apart from the words "by Gareth Hanrahan" of course)?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks, Lindsay Jackson.
Old February 25th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

l_c_jackson Citizen
Default and other materials

If there are any other Traveller materials that you feel are missing from the market, please say. I'm thinking of collections of NPCs, ships, equipment, background locations etc.

Read more: http://happyjacks.proboards.com/inde...#ixzz1nOyHGpT3
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Dragoner Citizen-

I plan on buying Mongoose Traveller products after the cleanup and I have some more money, right now I'm still playing CT.

However, my favorite of the CT Adventures were the Twilight's Peak and Expedition to Zhodane types because not only did they have the adventure, but they had resource stuff in the back, such as Droyne and Zhodani profiles.
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

I prefer my "adventures" to be combined adventure, and either sourcebook (setting expansion) or supplement (rules expansion).

1/3 to 1/2 adventure, and the remainder either sourcebook or supplement, or an even split between them. Without the sourcebook/supplement element, it's not worth the money for me.

My favorite CT adventures back in the day were Adv 3 Twilight's Peak (for the Droyne CGen), and TTA (Vargr CGen)... with the side note that both products had a pretty high sourcebook value, too.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

I always thought there was a need for a Detached Duty Scout campaign book. The Traders had/have The Traveller Adventure, the Mercs had Broadsword. There wasn't much of the 'hey, I'm retired (sort of) but still have a Scout/Courier ship' linked adventures. As you can imagine, I've got ideas, if you'd like to hear/read them...

A Noble scenario/campaign would go over well, too, I'm sure.

Last edited by Spinward Scout; February 26th, 2012 at 04:52 AM..
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

nats Citizen

Lots of good descriptive illustrations, characters/alien drawings, maps and ship plans first and foremost that inspire my imagination.

A well thought out and planned book secondly, that encourages me to read through it and not get bored reading long waffling text.

My favourite scenario of all time is Marooned Alone. I loved the sense of desolation, the emphasis on survival and being tested to the limit of your endurance, and the illustrations and map of course.

And my favourite supplement is Traders and Gunboats - mainly for the superb illustrations and deck plans (especially the scout I love that ship) as well as those great little people and the keyplan about the different hatches and the deck cross-section. That keyplan alone got me thinking exactly what a ship would be like inside.

Its funny that the best traveller scenarios for me are ones I can relate to - those about people with guns or swords, placed in real life situations like exploration or survival against animals etc. The scifi adds to the setting and fantasy but for me Traveller has always been about gritty real life.

Its something Mongoose have got completely wrong IMO. They have concentrated purely on expanding the scifi aspects and as such MGT has lost its way completely. Traveller was never about ultra fantastic futurism.

For example the great thing about Chamax Plague was that it immediately brought to mind to me Zulu - a small rag tag high tech group holding out against an uncivilised mass of enemies. Although Starship Troopers is more similar setting to the one in that book (its probably a Starship Troopers rip-off actually), it has always been Zulu (Rorke's Drift) that has been the more inspiring image in my mind when I read that adventure, or Custer's last stand. We are humans after all the best adventures are ones we can relate to from our past. Its how Star Wars was so popular as well I think we can directly relate to Skywalker's dream of getting away from the drudgery and into the stars.

Last edited by nats; February 27th, 2012 at 06:24 AM..
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Knight

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

i aggree with nats,. to a degree. one of my favourite parts of the whole traveller setting was the often wildly divergent techonolgy on display.

I fell in love with images i saw of characters on horse back fireing laser rifles at 1st world war bi-planes. or 18th century sailing ships being moored next to a Free trader that had landed in water. Of images of squad a of alsan warriors in Battle Dress facing off agianst a horde of screaming savages. Of a caveman in rags doing selling skins he'd hunted to a megacoporate trader in a sharp suit.

that interation of low and high techology wsa what i found so intresting. a world where your battle ship might have steam boilers but be armed with imported anti-starship missles. or your flying city was defended by muzzle loading cannon.
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

Strummist Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
I always thought there was a need for a Detached Duty Scout campaign book. The Traders had/have The Traveller Adventure, the Mercs had Broadsword. There wasn't much of the 'hey, I'm retired (sort of) but still have a Scout/Courier ship' linked adventures. As you can imagine, I've got ideas, if you'd like to hear/read them...
Oh yes, I'd love a Scout campaign in the same detail as The Traveller Adventure, or Tarsus. Or even a whole bunch of short Amber Zone type scout plot outlines. Time to make the characters earn their Scout/Couriers.

I'd also like something about STL colony ships from the pre-FTL days. There must be a few still about, in the spaces between the stars. There's a huge scope there, from Heinlein Universe-type stuff to Al Reynolds grim.
Old February 27th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

nats Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
I prefer my "adventures" to be combined adventure, and either sourcebook (setting expansion) or supplement (rules expansion).

1/3 to 1/2 adventure, and the remainder either sourcebook or supplement, or an even split between them. Without the sourcebook/supplement element, it's not worth the money for me.

My favorite CT adventures back in the day were Adv 3 Twilight's Peak (for the Droyne CGen), and TTA (Vargr CGen)... with the side note that both products had a pretty high sourcebook value, too.
I heartily agree. One of my favourite scenarios, Safari Ship, encouraged me to look beyond a simple ship plan and consider how the ship would actually be used (hunting launches and the like) and how hunting can be carried out in Traveller. That scenario was worth its weight in gold to me. And I loved the illustrations.

And Marooned again is useful beyond the actual adventure - the book can form the basis for any wilderness survival setting. So its value to a ref exceeds the one off adventure material.
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

scott Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
I really like this idea--I tend to lean more toward Scouts than military/merc or trading campaigns, so I'd love to see something like this.

Quote:
I fell in love with images i saw of characters on horse back fireing laser rifles at 1st world war bi-planes. or 18th century sailing ships being moored next to a Free trader that had landed in water.
The first scenario I've been prepping for some future Traveller game -- if I ever find players -- will involve a small planetary colony that's dependent on stuff that falls from an orbital junkyard and that gets around in cobbled-together airships.

Last edited by scott; February 27th, 2012 at 11:40 AM..