Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Traveller 5 > Traveller 5 > Pre-Release Discussion

Pre-Release Discussion Archive of the pre-release T5 Public

Old March 11th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 0
Nerhesi Citizen
Default fighter pilot skill = negative DM to be hit ... is this in?

I was looking through some ancient posts here and there and I saw that certainversions of traveller correctly (or at least very cool-ly) simulated fast nimble maneuvarable fights by applying the pilots skill as some sort of negative modifier to the gunner trying to hit the fighter.

A) which version/versions of traveller is this in?

B) is in traveller 5?

Sam W
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:16 PM

Nerhesi Citizen

My life for a response
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Rynak Citizen

The Traveller 5 book hasn't been released, but is expected to ship at the end of the month. Until that time the NDA is still in effect and those people (not me) that were part of the playtesting are not allowed to answer this question.

I have heard rumors that small and fast ships will gain bonuses to help prevent large weapons from hitting them. Unfortunately this is not official information and I have no details on these mechanics or the specific question that you answered.

In short, we will know more in several weeks.
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

BytePro Citizen

Quote:
I was looking through some ancient posts here and there and I saw that certainversions of traveller correctly (or at least very cool-ly) simulated fast nimble maneuvarable fights by applying the pilots skill as some sort of negative modifier to the gunner trying to hit the fighter.
Re: A) for Classic and Mongoose:

CT: Yes. In LBB 2 combat, in the form of the Defender's DMs. Depends on Maneuver/Evade software. (Basically minus pilot skill times .25 times Maneuver/Evade level upto a multiplier of 1.) So if your computer and software are good enough its a straight -pilot skill DM.

High Guard: 1/2 of 1 less than command pilot skill adds to agility which is a -DM on all (or most?) to hit rolls.

MgT: In TMB, successful pilot check on a reaction (dodge - beam/missile/boarding) applies -2 DM. Multiple may be performed depending on initiative and Thrust allocated to maneuvering.

[Save your life for something else! ]
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:13 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynak View Post
The Traveller 5 book hasn't been released, but is expected to ship at the end of the month. Until that time the NDA is still in effect and those people (not me) that were part of the playtesting are not allowed to answer this question.
Funny, he may as well free y'all from that.

Development is done. Pre-Sales are done (mostly). Anything good or bad press from discussing the game won't affect sales since the books will be in hands (and review/commentable) before they actually go back on sale.

And any assertions that were changed by last minute edits are no big deal.

So I dunno what holding folks to the NDA achieves anymore.
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:58 PM

BytePro Citizen

For purposes of discussing RAW, it's probably best - and early supporters may still see it as a perk. <shrug>

Since Marc made the rules, I also suspect he may want to be active in public forums discussing their interpretations.
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:36 AM

Nerhesi Citizen

Thanks gents - I'm waiting for my book too.

Just curious because Mongoose traveller didn't allow any special bonus to small craft - I know someone mentioned it up there that they got to dodge, but so do 500,000 ton battleships.

So hitting a 500,000 battleship with a maneuver drive of 6 is the same as 50 ton fighter with a drive of 6.

And as for dodging, not only is it identical, it is unclear whether it can be done multiple times for the same attack or not, but it is clear it only applies to one "attack". One thing that is clear however, is that a 50 ton fighter, does "dodge" as well as a million ton battleship (both -2 modifiers to DM if successful).

I really hope these are changing.