Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 21st, 2016, 03:13 PM
Brandon C Brandon C is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 883
Gallery : 0
Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+
Default 200-ton fast courier

MgT 1e, mostly core rules with a little from High Guard

While this is for my pocket empires campaign, it is really designed for PCs who are still on active duty or are working for the government. The modular nature of the ship gives them different adventure possiibitities as well as a change in NPCs to deal with from week to week. The ship's performance is alos better than the average merchant or scout PCs get

200-ton fast courier

The fast courier is a light warship designed to get a small number of people or cargo from one place to another quickly. This can be diplomats, medical supplies or a special ops team, among the many possibilities. It uses a 30-ton cutter module socket to carry passengers and/or cargo. Note that only one turret is normally manned; if both must be used, the engineer typically serves as the second gunner.

The fast courier has manoeuvre drive-D, jump drive-D and power plant-D, giving Jump-4 and 4G acceleration. 88 tons of fuel supports the power plant for 2 weeks and one Jump-4. One fuel processor is installed. A Model 4/fib computer and basic military electronics is located in the hardened bridge. There are 2 staterooms. The ship has two hardpoints, with a triple turret with a particle beam and a double turret with two beam lasers. A socket for a 30-ton cutter module is provided. Cargo capacity is 4 tons. The ship is streamlined, equipped with stealth and has armour 4.

There are several minor variants of the fast courier. Scout and government ships usually omit the particle beam turret. Those operated by nobles lack stealth as well.

Crew consists of a commander/pilot, navigator, gunner and engineer. The ship costs MCr 138.15, excluding the cutter module.
__________________
A generous and sadistic GM,
Brandon Cope

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 21st, 2016, 09:23 PM
kilemall kilemall is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,717
Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen
Default

Clever bit with the cutter module. I will steal immediately.
__________________
YUMV- Your Universe May Vary.
YOMD- Your Opinion May Differ.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 21st, 2016, 10:08 PM
boomslang boomslang is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Outrim Void
Posts: 864
Gallery : 1
boomslang Citizen
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon C View Post
Crew consists of a commander/pilot, navigator, gunner and engineer. The ship costs MCr 138.15, excluding the cutter module.
Been using something similar IMTU for a while now, so I can attest to its usefulness for hauling non-mercantile adventurers and their assorted gear around in a timely fashion.

The only practical issue I have encountered is the frequent need for customized Cutter Modules; if you have a large group of characters aboard (i.e., more than 4 PCs and NPCs combined as may be necessary to cover all 3 skilled crew positions, plus a Gunner, plus anyone else along for the ride such as a Medic or whatever), you will find yourself building in extra crew accommodations as part of each new Mission Module they look to carry. This can make off-the-shelf models of Module less convenient and mean the PCs (or their Patron) will have to customize any Module they might be looking to exchange for. So, Starport B at a minimum if looking for a new, rather than a used off-the-shelf, Module.

But on the other hand, the default Cutter itself is light on cabins, so there should plausibly be any number of solutions to the problem already lying around all over the place and available for the requisitioning (or purchase, as the case may be), I have thought.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:33 AM
Brandon C Brandon C is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 883
Gallery : 0
Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
Clever bit with the cutter module. I will steal immediately.
The modular designs back in TNE planted the seed. Like that setting, the idea makes sense in a pocket empires setting where resources are limited and it is inefficient to make several nearly identical versions of the same type of ship. Also,as a said earlier, the modular nature makes it more useful as a ship for PC use.
__________________
A generous and sadistic GM,
Brandon Cope

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:49 AM
Brandon C Brandon C is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 883
Gallery : 0
Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomslang View Post
The only practical issue I have encountered is the frequent need for customized Cutter Modules; if you have a large group of characters aboard (i.e., more than 4 PCs and NPCs combined as may be necessary to cover all 3 skilled crew positions, plus a Gunner, plus anyone else along for the ride such as a Medic or whatever), you will find yourself building in extra crew accommodations as part of each new Mission Module they look to carry. This can make off-the-shelf models of Module less convenient and mean the PCs (or their Patron) will have to customize any Module they might be looking to exchange for. So, Starport B at a minimum if looking for a new, rather than a used off-the-shelf, Module.
I find that 3-4 players is an ideal group size for me and so designed the ship to fit that many crew as regulars. If I was going to have more players, I'd drop the armor to 3 (or maybe 2) and add a 4th stateroom, while retaining a small amount of cargo space. The only real downside to the fast courier is that it has no small craft, not even an air/raft (although a couple of grav cycles could be squeezed in).

As for custom cutter modules, I'm expanding the list I made up a couple years ago when I was working on modular merchants (200 and 400 ton). However, aside from use in starships, some need to be capable of being used as part of a ground or space station (requiring one or more airlocks) or are for short term use with a cutter (like ferrying passengers between an orbital and ground station).

I may update my thread on cutter modules I posted some time back:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...hlight=brandon
__________________
A generous and sadistic GM,
Brandon Cope

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:55 AM
alveric alveric is offline
Citizen: SOC-8
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 40
Gallery : 0
alveric Citizen
Default

I think using modules is a good idea. Have you deckplans for the ship itself, yet?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 22nd, 2016, 06:40 AM
Brandon C Brandon C is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 883
Gallery : 0
Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alveric View Post
I think using modules is a good idea. Have you deckplans for the ship itself, yet?
No, sorry, no deckplans.
__________________
A generous and sadistic GM,
Brandon Cope

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 22nd, 2016, 06:52 AM
McPerth's Avatar
McPerth McPerth is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 7,707
Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon C View Post
MgT 1e, mostly core rules with a little from High Guard

While this is for my pocket empires campaign, it is really designed for PCs who are still on active duty or are working for the government. The modular nature of the ship gives them different adventure possiibitities as well as a change in NPCs to deal with from week to week. The ship's performance is alos better than the average merchant or scout PCs get

200-ton fast courier

The fast courier is a light warship designed to get a small number of people or cargo from one place to another quickly. This can be diplomats, medical supplies or a special ops team, among the many possibilities. It uses a 30-ton cutter module socket to carry passengers and/or cargo. Note that only one turret is normally manned; if both must be used, the engineer typically serves as the second gunner.

The fast courier has manoeuvre drive-D, jump drive-D and power plant-D, giving Jump-4 and 4G acceleration. 88 tons of fuel supports the power plant for 2 weeks and one Jump-4. One fuel processor is installed. A Model 4/fib computer and basic military electronics is located in the hardened bridge. There are 2 staterooms. The ship has two hardpoints, with a triple turret with a particle beam and a double turret with two beam lasers. A socket for a 30-ton cutter module is provided. Cargo capacity is 4 tons. The ship is streamlined, equipped with stealth and has armour 4.

There are several minor variants of the fast courier. Scout and government ships usually omit the particle beam turret. Those operated by nobles lack stealth as well.

Crew consists of a commander/pilot, navigator, gunner and engineer. The ship costs MCr 138.15, excluding the cutter module.
With 2 staterooms and a crew of 4, there's no place to for the small number of people being carries (as you say it's its mission), and cargo capacity is quite samll to fake naything but the smallest priority cargoes...

I'd suggest to forfeit the socket for the 30 dton cutter and to add some more staterooms/cargo space. Being so small and streamlined, I don't see too much use for the cutter (but may just be a matter of diferent doctrine or thinking).

What TL is it, by the Way?
__________________
Duke of ShaiaVland 3215 B64A998-E
Marquis of Ashtagz Tyui SR 1818C548786-8
SEH for actions in Extolay

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 22nd, 2016, 07:03 AM
Brandon C Brandon C is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 883
Gallery : 0
Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+
Default

It doesn't carry a 30 ton cutter, but a 30 module as used by the 50 ton modular cutter.
__________________
A generous and sadistic GM,
Brandon Cope

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 22nd, 2016, 07:06 AM
McPerth's Avatar
McPerth McPerth is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 7,707
Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon C View Post
It doesn't carry a 30 ton cutter, but a 30 module as used by the 50 ton modular cutter.
Ok, then I read you wrong, sorry, my fault. Of course this gives it th needed flexibility to make it quite a better design that I thought at first glance....
__________________
Duke of ShaiaVland 3215 B64A998-E
Marquis of Ashtagz Tyui SR 1818C548786-8
SEH for actions in Extolay

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Acinonyx Class Fast Courier - The Beginning Patron Zero The Fleet 32 May 9th, 2014 03:01 PM
200 Ton Fast Courier - An X-boat Refit Patron Zero The Fleet 13 January 16th, 2014 03:46 PM
How fast can we go with STL? -- fast!! Tellon Imperial Research Station 7 December 17th, 2009 05:49 PM
Hermes Class Fast Courier mbrinkhues The Fleet 0 January 12th, 2007 04:52 PM
Type SF - Fast Scout/Courier (CT Book 5 and Book 2) far-trader The Fleet 9 January 31st, 2006 11:42 AM

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010- Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.