Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old September 29th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Baron

Gallery : 3
Visit DickNervous's Blog
DickNervous Citizen+DickNervous Citizen+
Default A Hidden Pirate Base.....

So I am running the Pirates of Drinax campaign and one of the "side missions" that the players can do is related to a pirate and his base...

Quote:
A century ago, a notorious pirate named Tamby
Dour attacked shipping within four parsecs of Wildemann. The
Imperial Navy intercepted and killed Tamby, but were never able
to find his hidden base........
As you might guess, the reward for the mission is..

Quote:
The real treasure, though, is Dour’s hidden base – a fully
functional, well-equipped and extremely well hidden Class-B
starport right on the main shipping lane…
So now I have to design this base and figure out how the players can actually run it. I have already did some of the design work but I am going to have to revisit it and scale it up a bit, especially the living quarters section since I only took into account pirate crews and such.

Since a Class B starport is supposed to have refined fuel and full repair facilities I have included a shipyard and fuel refinery. What I don't know is how big either of those should be or how many people it would take to run them? I assume that a lot of the work would be automated, but someone still has to run things and maintain the automation!

Then I also have a warehouse and starport control, both of which are much easier to figure out how to staff and how much space they take up. And of course there would be barracks, mess hall, recreation area, storage, and all the things that people who are running this place would need.

Since it is in/on an asteroid I am thinking that designing it like a very large ship or space station is the route I should take, but just how big would it have to be? My current design has a very large central area hollowed out of the asteroid where up to 10 ships (500dT or less) could dock along with the shipyard, warehouse, and refinery. But I think it's not big enough, which can be fixed by adjusting the scale of my drawing, but I just don't know how big it needs to be.

So any ideas, comments, suggestions, or examples would be greatly appreciated, both on the design and staffing side of things.

Thanks!
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Old September 29th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickNervous View Post
Since a Class B starport is supposed to have refined fuel and full repair facilities I have included a shipyard and fuel refinery. What I don't know is how big either of those should be or how many people it would take to run them? I assume that a lot of the work would be automated, but someone still has to run things and maintain the automation!
I don't understand why a pirate hideout would need a boatyard (which is the distinguishing facility of class B starports). Repair facilities makes a lot of sense. The ability to build new ships from the keel up does not sound quite feasible, although I could see why a pirate would love to have that capability. But why would he want to be able to build spaceboats?

Hans
Old September 29th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Visit Selandia's Blog
Selandia Citizen+Selandia Citizen+

Size: It realy need to just just enougn to repair the pirate ship, and may be hide a prize or two.

Staffing: a big issue, unless the whole "base" crew was also on the destroyed ship, there no basic reason the base crew would not go in business under a new boss, possibly the yard master. So some creativity by you, lot of robots, or a well and extensively equipped small workshop manned by the ship's crew when at base (If nearly all of the "large" crew of a corsair are prof spacers and not just goons, B class work may be performed) are required.

How will they man it? humm...what kind of work? honest work may use standard hiring practices, chop shop will be more adventurous hiring

Have fun

Selandia
TAS, Bragg, Gush 1021,
Nothing is perfect, unless I fix it
Old September 29th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Visit Selandia's Blog
Selandia Citizen+Selandia Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
I don't understand why a pirate hideout would need a boatyard (which is the distinguishing facility of class B starports). Repair facilities makes a lot of sense. The ability to build new ships from the keel up does not sound quite feasible, although I could see why a pirate would love to have that capability. But why would he want to be able to build spaceboats?

Hans
oops simultaneously posting

B class, for pirate: You are right, they do not need to build a ship from the keel up. My take: Chop shop and remodelling prize for resale may verywell bring a maintenance and repair workshop (boatyard) to level B.

have fun

Selandia
TAS, Bragg, Gush 1021,
Nothing is perfect, unless I fix it
Old September 29th, 2015, 06:52 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

I could see fighters and boarding shuttles being a standard way for pirates to get their job done, especially if they work the same system, or are using the build capacity to make very custom boats (say stealthier, or duplicates of innocuous/trusted boats).

The pirate base shouldn't be full-sized repair a dreadnaught capable, at least and maintain it's stealth at the same time, so definitely an upper end on what can be repaired within the bays.
Old September 29th, 2015, 07:54 PM

Gallery : 24
Visit Drakon's Blog
Drakon Citizen+Drakon Citizen+

Quote:

Hans
There is a high degree of overlap between repair and new construction. Think a minute about all the various repair operations that might come up. Each unique repair operation will require particular facilities and resources. After a certain point, the ability to repair anything ends up being able to build anything.

If you can manufacture enough repair parts, you can build an entire ship.
MCG Final Victory @ Emerald----------------------------------------------------Corr 1806 Lemish A79568C-C
Old September 29th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Absent Friend

rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
There is a high degree of overlap between repair and new construction. Think a minute about all the various repair operations that might come up. Each unique repair operation will require particular facilities and resources. After a certain point, the ability to repair anything ends up being able to build anything.

If you can manufacture enough repair parts, you can build an entire ship.
By that logic, a really capable repair facility should be a shipyard and make it a class A starport equivalent (it's not going to be any class of starport until a rating authority confers a class on it; a hidden ship facility would technically be a class X starport. Presumably the author meant a place with all the facilities needed to earn a class B classification.)

Anyway, Traveller rules distinguishes between repair facilities, boatyards, and shipyards, and repair facilities are supposed to be able to repair any repairable damage, so you don't really need a boatyard on a pirate base unless you genuinely need to build new spaceboats from scratch.

Hans
Old September 29th, 2015, 08:38 PM

Visit Drakon's Blog

Quote:
Anyway, Traveller rules distinguishes between repair facilities, boatyards, and shipyards, and repair facilities are supposed to be able to repair any repairable damage, so you don't really need a boatyard on a pirate base unless you genuinely need to build new spaceboats from scratch.

Hans
So what would a repair facility not have, to prevent it from building new boats?

Between A and B, is the jump drive. So a Class A could produce a jump drive, but those require something that a class B starport doesn't have. Some key piece of the Jump Drive must require special manufacturing facilities, materials or personel.

Between C and B, C's can do Major Repairs, but not Overhauls. What does an overhaul require that Major Repairs do not?

As it stands, if you can do an overhaul, you can build a boat.

Also, if you are using breach pods to attack shipping, you may consider the pods expendables that need to be replenished.

Also, "need" is not an issue. The issue is desire. Maybe this pirate king wanted to build boats. Maybe one of his minions wanted to. Maybe the Pirate King captured some engineer, took a liking to him, (or her) and got that engineer to cooperate in repairing the main ship by providing whatever facilities the engineer asked for.

This could be the beginning of one of those galactic legends that the Galaxiad re-enacts.
MCG Final Victory @ Emerald----------------------------------------------------Corr 1806 Lemish A79568C-C
Old September 29th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Absent Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
So what would a repair facility not have, to prevent it from building new boats?
A local infrastructure manufacturing sub-components.

Quote:
Between A and B, is the jump drive. So a Class A could produce a jump drive, but those require something that a class B starport doesn't have.
A local infrastructure manufacturing jump drives would be my guess.

Quote:
Between C and B, C's can do Major Repairs, but not Overhauls. What does an overhaul require that Major Repairs do not?
That's one of the tricky ones. To get a class B starport rating, you need to be able to perform annual maintenance and to build spaceboats. You can get a class C rating without being able to do either. But what rating do you give a starport that can perform annual maintenance but not build spaceboats? My take is that you can have class C starport that can perform annual maintenance, the rules to the contrary notwithstanding. YMMV.

Quote:
As it stands, if you can do an overhaul, you can build a boat.
As it stands, if you have a class B rating, you can do both. Is that because you can't perform annual maintenance without a boatyard? I doubt it. Just what do you need to be able to perform annual maintenance other than the facilities to repair defects?

Quote:
Also, "need" is not an issue. The issue is desire. Maybe this pirate king wanted to build boats. Maybe one of his minions wanted to. Maybe the Pirate King captured some engineer, took a liking to him, (or her) and got that engineer to cooperate in repairing the main ship by providing whatever facilities the engineer asked for.
Those facilities would include some rather expensive infrastructure.

Hans
Old September 29th, 2015, 09:21 PM

Visit Drakon's Blog

Quote:
A local infrastructure manufacturing sub-components.
That is necessarily vague. I am trying to see more specifically what that would entail. Is the lack in transport capability? Key ingredients? Human talent? Some unique manufacturing process that cannot be substituted?

Quote:
That's one of the tricky ones. To get a class B starport rating, you need to be able to perform annual maintenance and to build spaceboats. You can get a class C rating without being able to do either. But what rating do you give a starport that can perform annual maintenance but not build spaceboats? My take is that you can have class C starport that can perform annual maintenance, the rules to the contrary notwithstanding. YMMV.
Maybe we're looking at this crabbed. Perhaps it is not the physical infrastructure or human talent as much as sufficent government oversight capabilities. Granted, facilities and talent would be factors, just not necessarily determining ones.

Some government agency has to oversee most starport operations. If you repair Jump drives, you need those repairs certified. Which requires an Imperial Inspector rated to inspect the Jump drive. You build a boat, you need inspectors rated to certify those boats, or else you can't take them up.

Annual inspections and major repairs would not require as knowledgable nor as senior an inspector.
Quote:
Those facilities would include some rather expensive infrastructure.
The Pirate King was quite successful, and really really liked the Engineer. Or perhaps whatever key macguffin it is that a Class B starport requires was being transported aboard a ship the Pirate King hit. "See what nice booty I brought you?"