Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old September 13th, 2019, 10:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 7
Diveguy Citizen+Diveguy Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
It's a moving part with springs, clips, locks etc - plenty of stuff that can brake that can't on a fixed stock.
Eh - based on real-world experience, on any modern folding stock - if a piece like that is broken enough that it might affect accuracy, it's because the stock as a whole has become non-functional. But as far as reducing accuracy on a regular basis? Not a factor.

As point of fact - a high percentage of modern "sniper" or "designated marksman" type rifles actually utilize some form of folding or collapsable stock to reduce overall length for transport - and they certainly aren't seeing any reduction in accuracy or other issues because of it.

Shershe DAGU 2728 C540874-8
Ulaun ZARU 0405 C667153-A
TAS Ulaun
SEH
Old September 14th, 2019, 12:12 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I was at the gunshop today and was looking at a few rifles with adjustable stocks, where you can change the length of the stock to fit the firer. Some of those collapse quite a bit, so at to approximate a folding stock. Where do those fit into this discussion?

Then there are the shotguns with just a pistol grip, and no stock. For an example, see the double-barrel sawed-off shotgun used by James Caan in "El Dorado."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old September 14th, 2019, 02:56 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
No, stocks are design to stabilize the weapon, regardless of recoil.
Specifically, it provides the shooter with three points of contact (shoulder, both hands) rather than two points of contact (both hands). This improves stability and thus accuracy.

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Old September 14th, 2019, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diveguy View Post
Eh - based on real-world experience, on any modern folding stock - if a piece like that is broken enough that it might affect accuracy, it's because the stock as a whole has become non-functional. But as far as reducing accuracy on a regular basis? Not a factor.
Most folding stocks aren't as stable as fixed stocks. I think the modifier represents an average folding stock: cheaper and more flimsy and pricier and more stable folding stocks exist. I would dare say the folding stocks on sniper rifle are more expensive than ones found on an average infantry service rifle.

Old September 14th, 2019, 03:43 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Quote:
My experience is not exactly modern - my comment is based on the sterling smgs I handled. Several of the folding stocks were very loose -due to age no doubt - and definitely affected accuracy.

Quote:
As point of fact - a high percentage of modern "sniper" or "designated marksman" type rifles actually utilize some form of folding or collapsable stock to reduce overall length for transport - and they certainly aren't seeing any reduction in accuracy or other issues because of it.
Which highlights that higher TL stuff should have different mods - which is a decision the ref can make for their game.
Old September 14th, 2019, 07:04 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 7
Diveguy Citizen+Diveguy Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
My experience is not exactly modern - my comment is based on the sterling smgs I handled. Several of the folding stocks were very loose -due to age no doubt - and definitely affected accuracy.

Which highlights that higher TL stuff should have different mods - which is a decision the ref can make for their game.
Yes, I can certainly agree - the Sterling stocks, the older Uzi stocks and many of the MP-5 stocks (particularly with age) were a far cry from a fixed stock. My observations were more based on current-issue or off-the-shelf options, which are a far sight better (no pun intended).

And yes, to comment on the other post - like anything else, "you get what. you pay for" - whether in a collapsing/folding stock, weapon optics, laser system or the like. As in many things, it comes down to how in the weeds you want to get in your game with tech level, weapon. options, price details and all the other choices.

My initial observation was more to offer a counterpoint to the negative DM concept that "folding stocks are inherently less accurate than fixed."

Shershe DAGU 2728 C540874-8
Ulaun ZARU 0405 C667153-A
TAS Ulaun
SEH
Old September 14th, 2019, 11:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

The point of the folding stock is that it takes up less room, especially during transit.

It could be completely solid or skeletal.

Each variation with it's own disadvantages or penalties.

In combat, you expect the user to have it snapped in full position; the question becomes at what point does the user decide the advantage of having it retracted or left folded outweighs the inherent penalty.

If the user has the inherent strength to absorb recoil, at close quarters follow up shots should be accurate enough.
Old September 16th, 2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Yes, I can certainly agree - the Sterling stocks, the older Uzi stocks and many of the MP-5 stocks (particularly with age) were a far cry from a fixed stock. My observations were more based on current-issue or off-the-shelf options, which are a far sight better (no pun intended).
I'll note that fixed rifle stocks have also improved over the years (strsight to semi-pistol to pistol, to adjustable stocks with or without recoil padding). So, while folding stocks have improved, so have fixed stocks, and making a distinction between the two at any TL is valid.