Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > GURPS Traveller

GURPS Traveller A forum for discussing GURPS Traveller from Steve Jackson Games

Old June 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

Gallery : 0
Arthur Citizen
Default New Gm Here Which Version Is Necessary 2nd 3rd Or 4th?

I am effectively jumping ship (so to speak) from D&D to Traveller! I need assistance from experienced folks to decide on 2nd, 3rd or 4th Edition GURPS. But first let me burden you with some dull yet necessary background info. I am a thoroughly experienced D&D DM and designer-contributor to the D&D 1st & 2nd Ed games. Nearly three decades, thousands of sessions, tens of thousands of hours and not to mention an equal amount in dollars later I have decided that Swords and Spells have become blasťí. Donít ask me why, but there it is! After a great deal of thought and feelings equivalent to marital infidelity I have concluded that traveler is the RPG for my remaining three decades, lord willing.
Anyway, I have never played GURPs, I GMíd Classic Traveller in 84 & 85 for a while and reflect upon it with fondness. I want my period to be during the 5th Frontier war, no rebellion or VIRUS, (itís an 80ís Cold War superpowers thing). I have gotten myself and my D&D players jazzed up about traveler and the infinite possibilities of gaming it can provide. Although I am quite decided on which Edition of Traveller I want to start off with I am undecided about which GURPS version to start with. I know GW used 2nd Edition, I like sweet and simple rules such as GURPS offers however I am in fear of 3rd or 4th Ed mechanics slowing simple gaming down. Keep in mind I have only just started reading the 2nd Edition Traveller Main Book. I donít have lots of time to read all the Editions but is there just that much more in 3rd Ed or 4th Ed that I will be missing out on? I eagerly await a response from experienced GT.

Last edited by Arthur; June 16th, 2008 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: spelling

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.