Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old September 12th, 2019, 11:21 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
I really liked Homeworld. The ship designs alone were compelling, but the whole in space experience was simply breathtaking.
I stumbled upon a deal for Homeworld (1 and 2 remastered) for under $10, on my Mac. So I ponied up and down loaded it.

Still nice. The story is really good, with a high level of production. I'm struggling a bit with the controls more than I remember, but ideally I'll get used to it.

Sure is pretty.
Old September 12th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxeskingofking View Post
Empires at war, I found, was a ok game. 3.6 roentgens, not great, not terrible. the space warfare was enjoyable, but the ground combat was often dire, and rarely fun, I usually skipped the ground war and let the AI auto fight it out.

the Battlefront series is just the Battlefield games given a star wars reskin. the old battlefront 2 was passible, but the two more recent battlefront games were both fairly forgettable. They suffered form all the blasters having a lack of "Weight" and feeling weak, and a poor distinction between the different guns (they all felt fairly similar to use)

for star trek games, the only one i'd bother recommending is Starfleet Command, which basically took the old Starfleet Battles table-top wargame and ported it onto PC. It was pretty fun, spent load of time on that back in the day. you have to play with the files a little to get it working these days though, but its just a few lines of code in a text file (oh, the ease of modding in the old days!)
I tried reinstalling it the other night, but it seemed really juvenile, or otherwise kid friendly. I just couldn't get into it. Ditto with the Star Wars version of Age of Empires. Kid friendly, but lacking something.

I thought SFC was just okay. Pretty graphics, but some bugs here and there. It's interesting for what it is, but I couldn't get much into it. Years back, in the mid to late 90s, there was the unofficial Star Fleet tactical simulator that was sold on floppy. Lots of people had made unofficial SFB "counters" for all the races at the time. I only ever got the basic version and never DL'd any of the fan made stuff, but to my mind it was a lot closer to a digital port of SFB than SFC ever was. I think I still have my copy hanging around somewhere.
Old September 13th, 2019, 12:49 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

What's memorable?

Wing Commander, TIE Fighter (especially the manual), Homeworld, MechWarrior, selected Forty Kay, and Battlestar Galactica Deadlock.
Old September 13th, 2019, 10:50 AM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxeskingofking View Post
for star trek games, the only one i'd bother recommending is Starfleet Command, which basically took the old Starfleet Battles table-top wargame and ported it onto PC.
I thought SFC was pretty terrible. But I viewed it as an SFB fan.

Maybe as a "starship in space" game, it was ok.

It was pretty, but it did not being the what I liked from the SFB experience to the screen.

It, in the end, turned in to go go go, turn, turn, turn, fire fire fire, all as fast as possible.

In SFB a single hex side, a single point of power, could mean life or death, and both sides knew it, and both sides sweated those details out. But all of that was lost in the real time nature of SFC.
Old September 13th, 2019, 05:32 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
I thought SFC was pretty terrible. But I viewed it as an SFB fan.

Maybe as a "starship in space" game, it was ok.

It was pretty, but it did not being the what I liked from the SFB experience to the screen.

It, in the end, turned in to go go go, turn, turn, turn, fire fire fire, all as fast as possible.

In SFB a single hex side, a single point of power, could mean life or death, and both sides knew it, and both sides sweated those details out. But all of that was lost in the real time nature of SFC.
I didn't quite view it as terrible, so much as my continued observation that coders like to automate the fun in table top games. Part of the joy of wargaming or RPing is telling the players what you're going to do, and let the opposition figure or find out why the hard way.

To me SFC reflects all the continued foibles that coders continually inject into digital ports of old favorites. OGRE, aside from its buggyness, was one of the few games to get a digital port right. All the decision making is yours, and when you hit "END PHASE" or whatever it is, then you see the results of your decisions.

SFC also had to mitigate licenses and not step on "the creators'" toes, all the while meshing fan publications from the Tech Manual and SFB proper with the actual Trek license. Like you say, it was an okay "space combat" game, but not much beyond that.
Old September 15th, 2019, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

Now I want to try all of these.

Thanks!