Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old September 11th, 2020, 05:30 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

December 18th, guys...

I'll note that Villeneuve is very much openly a fan of the books, and was said to be quizzing cast and creatives on books 1-3...

The changes he's made have supposedly been done with Brian Herbert's permission. The biggest of which is that Liet is Chani's mother, rather than her father.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 11th, 2020, 11:49 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

I liked the Lynch movie. I have not read the book.

I didn't care for the mini series that came out a few years ago.

I love LoTR, the Hobbit is "ok". I don't think it deserved 3 movies.
Old September 11th, 2020, 07:23 PM

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

I read the books. I was rather opposite. I like the David Lynch look but the miniseries told a story better overall.

I realise their looks matched the version they were in, but
Brad Dourif made a much more interesting Pieter
and Ian McNice was a soooo much more fun Baron Harkonnen
Old September 11th, 2020, 10:31 PM
Count

Ullarsskald1957 Citizen

Inspires me to reread the Dune books. Not too fond of movies made from novels I like. They are most always a different vision than I get while reading.

The Right Honorable Lord Sir Lt General Alasdair Morgan Gunn, Ret. at TravellerWiki
http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/index.p...nn&redirect=no
Old September 19th, 2020, 12:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

DUNE is being played safe this time. Looks to be unmemorable.
Old September 19th, 2020, 01:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 1
Marchand Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
DUNE is being played safe this time. Looks to be unmemorable.
I have got no axe to grind. I love Dune, I love good films and I want the Villeneuve version to be great.

But based on what I have seen so far, tend to agree. I suspect people will be watching the Lynch version in 20 yrs' time more often than this one.
Old September 19th, 2020, 04:39 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

The Lynch version is a great film - but it isn't Dune. I very rarely watch it these days. If it is on a movie channel I will skip it unless there is absolutely nothing else to watch, and even then the chances are Venom will just be watched for the nth time.

It takes too many liberties with the plot and characters, and the ending is just cringeworthy; I walked out of the theatre without watching the credits roll the first time I saw it.

The TV series was a better adaptation of the book, but it too had its flaws in the casting and acting department. If it is on I will watch it.
Old September 19th, 2020, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
The Lynch version is a great film - but it isn't Dune. I very rarely watch it these days. If it is on a movie channel I will skip it unless there is absolutely nothing else to watch, and even then the chances are Venom will just be watched for the nth time.

It takes too many liberties with the plot and characters, and the ending is just cringeworthy; I walked out of the theatre without watching the credits roll the first time I saw it.

The TV series was a better adaptation of the book, but it too had its flaws in the casting and acting department. If it is on I will watch it.
The TV miniseries is tighter to the text only in the Dialogue. It gets the colors all wrong, the still suits hang and move wrong, the uniforms not as described, Irulan is present way too early (in the book, she only shows up as a biographer being quoth and in the final showdown), and Paul's not asinine enough towards her. She becomes important in the later books, not in the initial book. Likewise, the seitches' outdoor activities are ONLY at night in the book; that daytime sietch market scene was just totally made up by the director of the miniseries.

As for casting it? I think the miniseries only got right the casting for Irulan, Vladimir, and Jessica...

From the trailer, we can see that every scene in the trailer compares just shy of 1 to 1 with the De Laurentis/Lynch version... and in each case, is closer to the book's descriptions. We also don't see a weirding module.

I expect the fanbase to be arguing the relative merits 20 years from now between the 3 and another relaunch of the property.

That said, Brian Herbert has supposedly approved all the changes in the movie, and the colors are at least mostly correct. The Ornis have flapping wings. The shields are conformal, as they should be.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 20th, 2020, 08:24 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Frank Herbert's Dune felt claustrophobic; Lynch appeared to have gone for an epic scale, but seemed trapped by the fantastic aesthetic into making it still life and rather staged.