Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Referee's Lounge

Referee's Lounge Discussion of how to (and not to) Referee Traveller and Cepheus Engine games. No edition warring allowed.

Old September 25th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
I refuse to be that Referee that says, "What do you guys do?" or "Are you sure you want to do that?" I'd rather start a Traveller game with players new tabletop gaming, than act as a facilitator to a group that just wants to sit and be entertained and be told what awesome things their characters do.
The reverse is that I remember a couple of players for other systems who really got into the game, but didn't want to play. One guy was laughing it up and appeared to be having a blast. We were playing a Car Wars campaign out of one of the Autoduel Quarterlies.

I've written about this before but this was the famous instance where our convoy got approached by tambourine banging Hari Krishnas, who came up to our car windows and characters asking for donations. The guy running the game went around the table asking each player in turn, and said new-comer flatly laughed and said "no", which is when the Hari Krishnas whipped out their Mac-10 submachineguns and sprayed us and our cars. I vaporized one with my turreted laser, and the new player just thought it was the most hilarious thing ever. A Car Wars character can only take three points of damage, but a Car Wars LASER shells out something like 3d6 of damage. And the image of this weapon just plowing through an unarmored character just sent the guy into hysterics.

But then he didn't want to play anymore after that one session. Whatever. It's like anything else, you meet all types. And I'd rather have a dozen of him at each gaming session, even if they're new faces, than passive people who are too intimidated or don't want to be there because it's not their favorite system.

Last edited by Blue Ghost; September 25th, 2017 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: for clarity
Old September 26th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Try putting them in the military or an intelligence agency. They have to go where they're told.

That sometimes works with D&D players.
Old September 27th, 2017, 12:28 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

In a Traveller session I ran a few years back, the guy hosting the session intentionally got drunk, and couple other players "called in sick". Drunk host got really obnoxious, but it was his house. So, what are you going to do?
Old November 3rd, 2017, 02:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Sifu Blackirish Citizen
Thumbs up The lurker strikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
Train your players to say where their characters are, and what they are doing, whenever they open their mouths at the table. Just saying those two things will keep the action going and give the Referee/Players plenty of ideas for what can happen next.
Although it has been years since I have refereed a game, I am planning a grand adventure for a friend the next time i see him. I will ave everything set up so all he has to do is throw dice and talk. This will be a one-on-one game, but i thought about other games I did.

Everyone needs something to do. With the Darwinistic TRAVELLER universe, every skill may ave an application somewhere, especially with devious players who want to spoil your plans for their characters. It is a tough balancing act, but it can be done if multiple characters are involved, say a naval for shipboard and a marine for the landing party.