Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Referee's Lounge

Referee's Lounge Discussion of how to (and not to) Referee Traveller and Cepheus Engine games. No edition warring allowed.

Old September 20th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+

I've found that you pick an archetype with one or two major traits, and let them evolve.

Surprisingly, the players tend to fill in the gaps on their own, and you can decide whether or not to adopt these characteristics.
Old June 28th, 2018, 09:51 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

A baron NPC with no money other than what he sunk into a privateer he intended to use to help rebuild his fortune with (his wife had the money - he had the bad investment sense) was encountered a few times by the players. The PC's got chewed up in one encounter when he tried to take their ship and cargo during a trade war they were subcontracting in, but they managed to blow out his power plant with a critical hit, and get away. Last they saw of him the baron was adrift and cursing them on the comms.

Forward a year later and the trade war is over (the PC's side lost) and the gang is jumping around a couple subsectors away from their usual area and they are warned off from a world they come out of Jump near. The world is a really small colony out on the fringes with not a whole lot going for it other than a couple of valuable mines that fill a 5000 ton bulk carrier once a week; the money mostly going into the pockets of the pair of minor nobility who bought the rights and live there. Anyway, the port is under attack by a flotilla of pirates so all incoming traffic is being warned to get away if they can.

The players do.

Buuuut...two weeks later they run afoul of one of those pirates who manages to take their ship and cargo..and them..and brings them back to the pirate base waaay out in the middle of nowhere beyond the law and hidden in an asteroid belt. He offers the PC's the option to sign on as a crew and eventually buy their freedom out of their shares and they accept. Since they are new, they have to ride in a large common type area under lock down until they can show they can be trusted. Low and behold, a bedraggled fellow prisoner is the same baron that they had run afoul of earlier.

Turned out he was on the world that was attacked and the PC's had diverted from. The baron was a at a fancy dress ball given by the two noble mining barons when the attack came, and he was taken with most of his crew while trying to get to the starport and escape to space. He made the same deal as the players when he used all the money he had to ransom his crew. Now he was here, still in his now filthy and worn Puss n' Boots costume from the party, complete with giant cat head and hat.

The escapades with this guy and the players were hilarious and in the end they decided he was a bit of a scoundrel, but not too dangerous of one to not become at least drinking friends with him. Now he owes them a few favors they can use later. Including a lot of poker winnings from those long days in Jump.

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old June 29th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Baron

Gallery : 54
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
A baron NPC with no money other than what he sunk into a privateer ...
I like it! Nice touch to bring him back as a fellow prisoner.

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Bloghttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Traveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old July 6th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Banned

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost Citizen++Blue Ghost Citizen++Blue Ghost Citizen++Blue Ghost Citizen++Blue Ghost Citizen++Blue Ghost Citizen++

"Hero of the Galaxy" by Sundrud is mentioned in either 1001 Characters or the 76 Patrons book. I've never read the book, but I created "Enemy of the Galaxy" for my players. It was an NPC, probably male, that was, to my mind at least, of a Kzinti like race who could take many many hits because of its unique biochemistry. Two meters plus tall, feline / tiger or bobcat like features, he led a boarding party on an Aslan mercenary cruiser--one of the big ones from Keith's FASA Aslan Mercenary ship pack. All the Aslan had been knocked out by a gas that had been pumped into the life support system, and my players had to deal with Enemy's boarders.

Our machine gunner, toting an Aliens' gyroscopic "Steadicam" mounted LMG, emptied an entire belt into the NPC. At which point said NPC stared at him for a brief moment before his eyes rolled back and he fell to the floor. It was at this point that his surviving crew / soldiers (mostly human mercenaries) pulled him back through the airlock.
Old July 8th, 2018, 01:39 AM
Citizen: SOC-5

2010 Citizen

It looks like the players might be able to get a favorable DM when trying to persuade the baron when he is around other people. He probably does not want the players to retell how they found him in a Puss in Boots costume. Classic!!
Old July 9th, 2018, 12:35 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

The Baron's ship, “Renown” was built at the local yards to his personal design and specifications. Prior to his leaving Somerheim the Count held a party for the estates and township to introduce his crew, volunteers from detached members of the 1131st Colonials.

As written in the local paper:

…The “Renown” is a purpose built commerce raider of 300 tons and a crew of 10. The ship is heavily armed with lasers, missiles, fusion guns and looks capable of taking on cruisers twice her size. The crew is cheerful and well-motivated by promises of glory and prize money among the colonial worlds. We all wish Baron Skaarston and his crew a safe and profitable voyage…

As it turned out the "detached Colonials" were fairly inept at privateering and the only reason they didn't mutiny at some point (or just walk away and go home) was because they did actually pick up a few choice prizes by way of three 5000 ton bulk ore carriers flagged with the opposition side. That was a pretty penny, but after that the trade war ended and the Baron was stuck a long, long way from home and the fuel bill alone was going to be ruinous just to get home. So he stopped at a backwater world to carouse with a pair of minor nobles he figured he could get some money out of somehow, even if by gambling (which he is actually good at - but the player he now owes was better), only to be waylaid by a pirate raid during the costume ball.

Yes, Baron Skaarston's the only thing worse than Baron Skaarston's business sense is his timing. At least to his credit he ransomed his crew over himself. But the stories they'll tell long before he ever gets home!

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+