Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Referee's Lounge

Referee's Lounge Discussion of how to (and not to) Referee Traveller and Cepheus Engine games. No edition warring allowed.

Old September 18th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
... I generate size, atmosphere, and hydrographics first, then add some modifiers based on those to the population roll, do a government roll and see if that feels right and fits with how I want the world to look, and then figure law level. Finally, I put in the star port based on population and world characteristics. ...
I seem to remember something like that method before. Maybe Jeff Zeitlin wrote about doing it like that?
Tools Link
Old September 18th, 2017, 07:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 0
egor045 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsyus View Post
In order to ensure everything is kosher with Traveller Map I'm sticking to T5 these days, though I still draw from MT and CT. The book I really love using at times is the World Builder's Handbook from Digest Group. I had a look for it online - does anyone know if it's available?

Had you thought of just adding the extra bods onto other planets or belts in the system?
There's an exponential issue. You'd likely have to distribute something at least ten times the mainworld's population to other worlds in the system. That'd make the mainworld look not too main.

I should have mentioned that myTU is small-ship. I don't use High Guard, so supplying all those people could be difficult.
Old September 18th, 2017, 09:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Keklas Rekobah Citizen

Quote:
... Had you thought of just adding the extra bods onto other planets or belts in the system?
DING!
Now why hadn't thought of that before? "Tens of Billions of Inhabitants" might be for the entire system, and not just for one world!
Of course, there's still that matter of the largest world in the system being SIZ 2-, with no air or water to speak of...
Old September 18th, 2017, 10:58 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
I seem to remember something like that method before. Maybe Jeff Zeitlin wrote about doing it like that?
I assure you that I have come up with that idea independently of anyone else.
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!
Old September 19th, 2017, 03:58 AM

kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++

I built mine sideways to most.

First I used the Imperium boardgame map.

Used this list of real life analogues to the mapped systems.

https://www.prismnet.com/~thrash/known.html

Started each system with the 'correct' star type as the basis, including whether it is known as a flare star.

Used [Mongoose Traveller Worldgen], with the input that it is a frontier and only settled 100 years or less.

[Mongoose Traveller Wordgen on RPGnet wiki]

So, all those red stars in the neighborhood usually only have pop 4 or so, little communities of hardscrabble eking out a settlement.

A major plot point is that the collective willingness to keep deficit funding these colonies for prestige is waning, with the result that some of them will be cut loose and find their own natural TL- or be abandoned.

More habitable planets of course get bigger populations. It comes out a lot more organically and logically.

Another plot point is that many planets end up with their own biosphere. So there is a tension between real estate/opportunity and whether mass biocide is acceptable, complicated by the pharmabanks that see alien native biomes as a huge new source of templates leading to products to monetize. And of course all the attendant diseases/deadly animals/ongoing conditions that make life hard on a non-sterilized planet.

Last edited by atpollard; September 20th, 2017 at 09:46 AM..
Old September 19th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Baron

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keklas Rekobah View Post
Of course, there's still that matter of the largest world in the system being SIZ 2-, with no air or water to speak of...
That becomes a bit of an issue, when it's possibly more feasible to build in a belt than around a planet. But it could be that with a Siz 2 planet that large orbitals simply shelter in its magnetosphere, particularly if they're from a lower-tech society. By lower tech I mean here 9-10. The BBB TL tables list under the Science column at TL11 Magnetics, which I'm taking to mean the manipulation of magnetic forces. If they're weak even at TL11-12, that could still give a justification for putting orbitals in orbit or at La Grange points around those planets.
Old September 19th, 2017, 10:40 PM

Keklas Rekobah Citizen

Quote:
... magnetic forces. If they're weak even at TL11-12, that could still give a justification for putting orbitals in orbit or at La Grange points around those planets.
That would be a LOT of orbitals around a rock not much larger than Ceres.

Intrinsic conditions that might influence the attractiveness of a world to colonization are not limited to SAH conditions, but stellar class and luminosity, orbital radius, and proximity to nearby "Hi Ri"worlds and jump routes. Thus, an X232000-0 world in an OZ orbit around an M8-V star that is 6 parsecs from the nearest world or space lane might not be as attractive as an X232000-0 world in an HZ orbit around a K4-V star that is 1 parsec away from a "Hi Ri" world on the Merchants' Main jump route.

While the first world might have only a one-line entry in the IISS's Sector Data catalog, the second world might soon experience a boom in its population.
Old September 20th, 2017, 12:23 AM

Gallery : 100
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

Quote:
which book rules from which edition(s) do you make use of when generating your systems?
I just use lbb 6.

lbb6 system generator in quick basic
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=35183
Old September 20th, 2017, 01:49 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
In order to ensure everything is kosher with Traveller Map I'm sticking to T5 these days, though I still draw from MT and CT. The book I really love using at times is the World Builder's Handbook from Digest Group. I had a look for it online - does anyone know if it's available?
Paul Elliot of Zozer Games has a good world building handbook for the Cepheus Engine that you could use for a lot of basic work.
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!
Old September 20th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Baron

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Paul Elliot of Zozer Games has a good world building handbook for the Cepheus Engine that you could use for a lot of basic work.
Thanks for that, I've got thatone, it's a neat book. It's nowhere near as detailed, nor does it have the extended extended UWP that's in the Digest Group book.