Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old April 6th, 2017, 12:58 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnewton View Post
It's not transfer, it's a highly advanced form of remote control. Your own body is still where it always was - you're just operating a remote vehicle (in this case, an avatar body) via a fully-immersive sensorium (telepresence).
So avatars are like probes?
Old April 6th, 2017, 07:22 AM
Citizen: SOC-6

John Snead Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe View Post
So avatars are like probes?
Hi, I did the rules conversion for Mindjammer Traveller. Yes, avatars are remote controlled drones or probes. Most installations (including sentient star ships) have one or more humanoid avatars so they can socially interact with other sentient beings more easily. However, if an avatar is blown to bits in an attack, the sentient starship character (or other installation character) is entirely unharmed, merely inconvenienced, since they are controlling the avatar using the Interface (remote ops) skill, and this skill serves as a cap for any skills they are using through the avatar.

OTOH, blowing up the starship would kill a sentient starship, unless it managed to eject its core corpus in time, and even then it would be in bad shape mentally, since it just lost its actual body.
Old April 6th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Citizen: SOC-6

John Snead Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgs View Post
-Character generation is fairly fun (like most Trav games) and some of the Events/Mishaps are interesting. It is pretty lop-sided though. Basically, all you want to do is roll up one Longevity package and call it a day. You get 8 skills, a quarter million dollars and some other goodies. Chargen done! Compare that with a Term...
Not at all - one of the key differences between Mindjammer Traveller and standard Traveller is that most Mindjammer Traveller characters will have *far* more skills than standard Traveller characters. A highly experienced MJT character has 3 longevities (150 years total) and 3+ terms of their career - giving them a dead minimum of around 30 points of skills and often more than that. Also, if you buy experience augmentations (like +s to characteristics) that Cr750,000+ can go very rapidly indeed, but the result is a highly skilled, heavily augmented character who is almost 200 years old, and likely doesn't look a day over 20, unless they want to.

Quote:
-The different character types (culture and genotype) are... tolerable. The synthetic and xenoform genotypes are pretty bland. With synthetics, you still have to roll for attributes, there is no real "cool" factor in playing one since they rarely differ from organics. The xenoform (uplifted animals) suffers from the same problem. You add a Trait or two and then generate character normally. Again, no real feeling of playing something different.
How is this different from playing an Aslan, or even a Hiver in standard Traveller?

Quote:
-The system is highly skewed to playing humans from the dominant polity, the Commonality. They get massive bonuses off the start.
Humans, or xenomorphs (uplifed animals), or hominids (adapted humans) or synthetics, including sentient starships, not just humans. All of these can be Commonality citizens.

Quote:
-Aging and Longevity make no sense. Basically you start at 18, then get a Longevity Package (+50), so now you're 68 but physiologically 18. Then you do regular Terms and get a chance for another Longevity package. But you do suffer from Aging now but not when you get Longevity packages so you have to keep two tracks going. Not to mention, it's like you don't age for 50 years and then all of a sudden start aging again. And considering Longevity is an Augmentation, it would seem you could buy it every Term and avoid aging altogether. They should have just come up with something different... it doesn't translate well with Traveller chargen mechanics.
The rules state that once you receive a longevity augmentation (which is automatic if you roll a longevity and are from a T8+ culture), you never make another aging roll - you don't age and could theoretically live forever. Rolling a longevity just means you spent lots of time in a particular career (50 years, + however many terms).

Quote:
-My concept of Transhuman and this genre comes from Eclipse Phase so maybe it's skewed but the slipping in and out of different bodies/shells is part and parcel of the genre. Mindjammer makes it fairly uninteresting and the Avatars are... one-dimensional? Boring? I don't know the right word. I do know that after making a character and its morph (avatar) in Eclipse Phase, I couldn't wait to get out to try it. After making a few of them here, I simply shrugged and moved on to the rest of chargen.
Avatars are not morphs, they are remotely operated bodies - if you lose Mindscape connectivity, you no longer control them until you regain it. Mindjammer is a very different setting than Eclipse Phase - resleeving isn't really a thing.
Old September 15th, 2017, 12:03 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

Starflyer Citizen
Thumbs up

Just downloaded my new copy of the "Core Worlds" and Sarah has knocked it out if the park again.

Plot hooks abound, fantastic art that evokes the setting, design is top notch and best of all a lot of originality in the ideas presented.

Even if you're not into the setting there are some great renders of earth, green moon and green mars that can be used for any Traveller setting. Exactly how a sector book should be.