Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old July 27th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++

This brings up a point- isn't MgT ship movement abstract and therefore transit to jump more of a referee described event?
Old July 27th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

ShawnDriscoll Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
This brings up a point- isn't MgT ship movement abstract and therefore transit to jump more of a referee described event?
I have the players describe where they are, and what they are doing. I don't narrate their actions.
Old July 27th, 2017, 09:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++

<Sigh> so if I was a player and I said I escaped orbit, fast forward to 100D and jump you would always let that through?

I suspect not.

You as the referee are likely going to work out chances for enemy/authorities intercept, roll for chances or declare they catch up for jump, but either way it's not a CT/Mayday/BL type movement through space on a game board/graph plot, the referee is describing what happens from an abstract.
Old July 27th, 2017, 10:17 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

ShawnDriscoll Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
<Sigh> so if I was a player and I said I escaped orbit, fast forward to 100D and jump you would always let that through?

I suspect not.

You as the referee are likely going to work out chances for enemy/authorities intercept, roll for chances or declare they catch up for jump, but either way it's not a CT/Mayday/BL type movement through space on a game board/graph plot, the referee is describing what happens from an abstract.
As I said, players tell me where they are, and what they are doing.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 04:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

mansfeld666 Citizen
Default Why come to a stop?

Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
Getting back the "how long does it take to reach the jump limit" question, CT's LLB:2 has a nice chart on page 10 which can partially answer that. It lists various distances along with the time needed to cover those distances at 1 gee, 2 gees, 3 gees, etc. Looking at the one million km line, it would take 333 minutes at 1 gee, 236 minutes at 2 gees, and 192 minutes at 3 gees.
And to follow-up Whipsnade's comment above, that chart is operating under the assumption that the ship is accelerating from world-orbit all the way to the midpoint of the jump limit (~ first 50 diameters), and then "rolling-over" and decelerating all the way from the midpoint to the actual jump limit at 100 diameters.

Does it matter if you are still moving when you jump?. I had always assumed that ships velocity got cancelled during the jump phase. Otherwise it would be a mess at emergence.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 04:19 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mansfeld666 View Post
Originally Posted by WhipsnadeView Post -

Getting back the "how long does it take to reach the jump limit" question, CT's LLB:2 has a nice chart on page 10 which can partially answer that. It lists various distances along with the time needed to cover those distances at 1 gee, 2 gees, 3 gees, etc. Looking at the one million km line, it would take 333 minutes at 1 gee, 236 minutes at 2 gees, and 192 minutes at 3 gees.
And to follow-up Whipsnade's comment above, that chart is operating under the assumption that the ship is accelerating from world-orbit all the way to the midpoint of the jump limit (~ first 50 diameters), and then "rolling-over" and decelerating all the way from the midpoint to the actual jump limit at 100 diameters.

Does it matter if you are still moving when you jump?. I had always assumed that ships velocity got cancelled during the jump phase. Otherwise it would be a mess at emergence.
The traditional understanding in Traveller is that Conservation Laws (such as Momentum) still apply. So a ship exiting Jump will do so with the same momentum it had when it entered Jump. Which means that the differential velocity between the originating and target star systems will need to be corrected for either before or after Jump.

The Traveller terms for the two types of Jump you describe above are a "Standing Jump" versus a "Running Jump".

Under T5 rules, if you have a reaction drive (throwing out reaction mass), you can operate the drive during jump to correct the differential momentum between the star systems en route.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam
Old August 3rd, 2017, 08:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulorigan View Post
Under T5 rules, if you have a reaction drive (throwing out reaction mass), you can operate the drive during jump to correct the differential momentum between the star systems en route.
Wouldn't it be risky because of
A,The lack of 1:1 correspondence between points in J-Space vs. Normal Space
OR
B.Igniting the hydrogen bubble around the ship protecting the ship?

I might have my interpretations of JumpSpace mixed up between the novel and different versions of the game but I thought T5 mentioned those two factors?
Old August 3rd, 2017, 11:43 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil View Post
A. The lack of 1:1 correspondence between points in J-Space vs. Normal Space
You will have to elaborate; I am not understanding what you are getting at.

Quote:
B. Igniting the hydrogen bubble around the ship protecting the ship?
The Hydrogen bubble is no more flammable than carbon dioxide or any other gas. Hydrogen is flammable in the presence of an oxidizer (such as Oxygen). There is no oxygen present in the "bubble". Otherwise fuel skimming from gas giants would be a rather "exciting" procedure as well, especially from static discharge in the atmosphere.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam
Old August 4th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulorigan View Post
You will have to elaborate; I am not understanding what you are getting at.

The Hydrogen bubble is no more flammable than carbon dioxide or any other gas. Hydrogen is flammable in the presence of an oxidizer (such as Oxygen). There is no oxygen present in the "bubble". Otherwise fuel skimming from gas giants would be a rather "exciting" procedure as well, especially from static discharge in the atmosphere.
J-space is flat, 2D. (Source: Marc, recently, via email)
N-Space is 3D.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.