Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In the OTU

In the OTU In the Official Traveller Universe. Any milieux that's been published in any edition. Not for discussion of rules except in reference to how they reflect the OTU

Old August 3rd, 2017, 02:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Baron Citizen
Default Solomani Campaign, CT era

I've always run my games (CT) in the Spinward Marches. For a change, I'm considering a game in the Solomani/Imperium border area. IMTU I accept the FFW, but don't go for any Emperor assassinations. The Imperium ain't gonna fold. What would you suggest as reading material to prep for a game in the Solomani region in that era? Thanks!
Old August 3rd, 2017, 02:59 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I've always run my games (CT) in the Spinward Marches. For a change, I'm considering a game in the Solomani/Imperium border area. IMTU I accept the FFW, but don't go for any Emperor assassinations. The Imperium ain't gonna fold. What would you suggest as reading material to prep for a game in the Solomani region in that era? Thanks!
GURPS Traveller: Rim of Fire
Setting Sourcebook for Solomani Rim Sector set in non-Assassination/Rebellion alternate timeline in year 1120.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam
Old August 3rd, 2017, 03:16 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Baron Citizen

Ah yes, I have the Gurps CD-Roms. In your opinion, how does Rim of Fire compare with Alien Module 6 for CT? Just more detail? Any contradictions or changes in depictions? Is everything (basically) from AM6 covered in RoF? Trying to keep my reading time to manageable levels. ;-)
Old August 3rd, 2017, 03:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

I'd suggest you to also read, if you can, MT:S&A. Even if you don't use MT setting (Rebellion), I like the hindsight it gives over the Solomani (and the Aslan part is quite nice too, but that's for another discussion...).

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.

Last edited by McPerth; August 4th, 2017 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: typos
Old August 3rd, 2017, 04:02 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Ah yes, I have the Gurps CD-Roms. In your opinion, how does Rim of Fire compare with Alien Module 6 for CT? Just more detail? Any contradictions or changes in depictions? Is everything (basically) from AM6 covered in RoF? Trying to keep my reading time to manageable levels. ;-)
Rim of Fire has a lot more detail than AM6. I do not recall any specific contradictions off the top of my head, though the timelines will begin to slightly diverge in the 1113-1116 period. Possibly (in reference to MT: Solomani & Aslan below) there is less emphasis on the "Confederation" character of the Solomani polity. I think Solomani & Aslan builds up the idea of the "sub-polities" within the confederation more than Rim of Fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
I'd siggest you to also read, if you can, MT:S&A. Even if you don't use MT setting (Rebellion), I like the hindsight it gives over the Solomani (and the Aslan part is quite nice too, but that's for another discussion...).
I will second that. If you can get your hands on a copy of MT: Solomani & Aslan, it is worth its weight in gold. You will just have to read carefully in order to "edit-out" any of the material that is unique to the Rebellion timeline.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam
Old August 3rd, 2017, 07:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

Do not forget:
Mongoose Alien Module 5: Solomani. It is set in 1105 Pre-Rebellion OTU as well. It has has more direct details about how it is to live in the Confederation and has
-Chargen for Dolphins and Uplifted Apes
-Important details for Travellers like the fact that a ship is considered sovereign territory of the faction it is registered under and the starport is owned by local government completely. The makes for interesting scenarios.
-The division of power between the factions and the "Central Government" and the two sets of armed forces.
-How "indigenes" are treated vs. Major Races vs. Natives (dolphins and apes)
-Alpha Crucis Sector detialed out

Mongoose Solomani Rim has besides it do up of the region
-Vegan Character generation
-Vegan Word Generation

The Mongoose books you will find some contradicts between it and Rim of Fire because of the years difference and OTU vs ATU. Most of the rest is nuances.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 07:18 PM

The big metaplot difference is Project Phoenix. Mongoose makes it a thing waiting to happen. Or not. Yes, yes, the stockpiles on Terra were found, and leaders executed sure but they were meant to be found.
What has not been found are the second set (the first were patsies) and the 3 sleeper CruRons and 4 SDB wings the Confederation has been slowly putting into the Kuiper and asteroid belts one at a time since the armistice. The CruRons are asteroid configuration, mostly powered down with crews in low berths, except waiting for a signal that Terra might be taken which of course in the ATU never happens.

But since my favorite aliens are the Solomani...
Old August 3rd, 2017, 07:30 PM

Gallery : 100
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

Quote:
3 sleeper CruRons and 4 SDB wings
is that enough?
Old August 3rd, 2017, 08:16 PM

No, not by itself. For the metaplot, The text goes on to require that a fleet jump in and PERHAPS some event like a major disruption in the Imperium preventing full attention. What is unstated. For us pldsters, it's probably Rebellion.

The idea is that the Imoerium has planned for KNOWN fleet concentrations and expected a guerrilla uprising. Thus the patsies. So when the Confederation do it they will be ahead 3+ squadrons with prepositioned supplies. There is also Solomani ship design which there states that the Confederation builds big ships and little, but few in between ships. So the CruRons most likely are TL D/E(or F maybe (?)) armored Buffered Planetoid at the top of displacement to still be called a CruRon. Oh and they still do fixed mounts for alpha-strikes so Solomani small ships are more annoying than Imperial ones.

Adventures in this vein revolve discovering or maintaining the secret,
Old August 3rd, 2017, 09:50 PM

Gallery : 100
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

Quote:
So when the Confederation do it they will be ahead 3+ squadrons with prepositioned supplies.
sounds like a ghost dance.

Quote:
Adventures in this vein revolve discovering or maintaining the secret
(smile)

would love to play the s2/s3 commander.