Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old July 6th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 3
Visit sfchbryan's Blog
sfchbryan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Knights Games View Post
That is an adventure published by Michael Brown. It is not a Cepheus Engine book. It is someone's Cepheus Engine compatible product.

There are only two Cepheus Engine books. I've been told that I am not allowed to post links to sales sites here. Go to DTRPG and type in "Samardan Press". You'll get the two CE books.
And in 5 minutes, Samardan Press could have another two (Alien Creation & Magic)

Looking forward to seeing you at Travellercon - I want to pick your brain on how you developed your Clement Sector Rules, since I am working on a similar project.
Old July 6th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Baron

Gallery : 0
Gypsy Knights Games Citizen+Gypsy Knights Games Citizen+Gypsy Knights Games Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfchbryan View Post
Looking forward to seeing you at Travellercon - I want to pick your brain on how you developed your Clement Sector Rules, since I am working on a similar project.
I look forward to seeing you there. As it stands, I'm not entirely sure that I will be able to be there but I'm pushing hard!

Gypsy Knights Games: Home of the Clement Sector setting.

Our website.

On Twitter @GKGames , Google + as Gypsy Knights Games and Facebook as GypsyKnights Games
Old July 8th, 2017, 06:03 PM

Gallery : 3
Visit sfchbryan's Blog
sfchbryan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil View Post
I see some things were not ported over, here and there, from the Traveller SRD.
Were these not ported over for OGL/license issues?

One was capital ship and other options from the High-Guard portion of the Traveller SRD.
Another is the Mercernary and group combat.
Any rumor of these coming forth as additons or are these a no go.

Other seem to be editorial decisions to make Cepheus more like CT. Like the format of character generation. There are no event tables and skill packages, even though they were in the SRD.
Yet event tables are in the new Diverse Roles supplement or at least the sample has them.
As to why Jason didn't move some things from the SRD over, you would have to ask him. Making CE more like CT was an editorial decision. Although I would say that it is more like MT (Character generation and a [much clunkier] Task System, minus the rebellion & errata.

People have used the D&D SRDs to retroclone more than just the 3.5 version of D&D. Swords and Wizardry and Labyrinth Lord are 0e clones, OSRIC is a 1ed clone, Gold & Glory is a 2ed clone (from what I understand). In addition, others have pushed SRDs in other directions - White Star and Stars without Number are SF RPGs that are based on the 0e clones. Whatever your yen is, there is a 0e D&D clone covering it (Superheros, Combat Archeology, Horror, Piracy, etc).

There is absolutely nothing preventing you from adding "missing ideas and concepts" to your own version - that is what I am doing.

OTOH, there are a number of things that I am taking out, because I feel that they are too closely tied to the OTU for my comfort (Concept of Nobility, Scouts not having pensions, any mention of an Imperium, Imperium awards, 3 levels of (Space Navy) - I am sure there are other concepts I'll be trashing as I run across them.

AFA Mercenary & High Guard - I don't know what Jason is doing, but I'm working on character books for my take on CE - I prefer character generation that uses annual roles (AKA advanced) as opposed to term (AKA basic) rolls; although I did drop the Mishaps & Events table & replaced them with a "Professional Training" roll (functional equivalent of the special duty roll in MT.)
Old July 10th, 2017, 12:48 PM

Gallery : 0
Visit estar's Blog
estar Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
All you're saying is that you don't know, which leads one to ask why you're bothering to comment. If you're okay with it, then maybe you can plan to publish "generic" scifi stuff outside your company's setting.

Personally I was hoping to see something like this, essentially official Traveller mechanics without the official background, published as per the games origins and first iteration, and with the author's (Marc Miller's) blessing so that normal Joes like me could write "real" scifi with this game mechanic in mind (because we're used to it and like it) that didn't violate the ground rules for the official Traveller setting because there would be no official setting.
You do realize that the Marc himself has published the Traveller 20 with the OGL language intact by releasing the CD-ROM and posting them on RPGNOW/DriveThruRPG. By doing this he given explicit permission to use that material under the OGL.

This combined with the face that Mongoose Traveller SRD has been out for a number of years and the recent addition of this subforum I think illustrates Marc's views on the use of both SRD (T20 and MgT1e).

Your view that the whole thing is "fishy" is shared by many others who view Pathfinder, and the D&D retro-clones in the same light. If you are not comfortable with using various Traveller related SRD then don't.

I will only say that at some point you have to come up with an answer to the observation that it been X years and Marc (or Wizards) hasn't sued or sent notice anybody using the material released under the various SRDs.