Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Imperial Encyclopedia Wiki > Wiki Discussion

Wiki Discussion Any questions, comments, suggestions, or other discussion of the Traveller Wiki should go here.

Old July 30th, 2016, 01:59 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 100
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

Quote:
younger/newer players WANT an advancing/progressing Canon timeline
why? do they do anything with it besides read it?
Old July 30th, 2016, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
why? do they do anything with it besides read it?
The ones I've met? Yep.

I've seen three trends in the people I've seen talking about it online.

most seem to be either (A) using one of the few MGT sectors, or (B) generating a subsector or two, essentially "on a random border", but linking to what they see of canon in their MGT books, or (C) going whole hog old school, and ignoring canon altogether. A very small fraction are (D) Using T5 without other canon references, except maybe Travellermap.

(C) is the most vocal, but they also tend to be playing Original D&D (little brown or white books), Tunnels and Trolls, Far Trek or Where No Man Has Gone Before (a pair of OSR type games released under Paramount's old Fan Use permissions), &/or Starships & Spacemen (either edition).

(B) seems, from plays reported on RPGG, various Facebook and G+ boards, and AP threads on 4chan, 7chan, and The RPG Site, to be the most common, and usually using MGT rules.

(A) tends to be a little more odd - a lot of "I sold all my books, and saw the new edition, and dived in." Some, however, are new to the game, and want to use the setting because it saves them work.

From what I've seen, few would match up with what's in Agent, but those that would are usually buying older editions on CD, and making leaps.

A few newbs have started with T5. I recall one guy got T5 hoping for it to be his first RPG to run... he'd been a player a few times in D&D, I think... He did manage to grasp much of it. (More than me, actually. T5 makes my head spin at times.)

I'm not seeing many who are doing ATUs who aren't grogs, but there are a couple. I've never seen an AP for MGT Judge Dredd Traveller edition. (For my own part, I've managed to generate a few characters. The skill levels are insanely high. Insanely.)
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 30th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
maksimsmelchak Citizen+maksimsmelchak Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil View Post
The Traveller fanbase is expanding Maksim. They just do not post here. They post over at the Mongoose forums. They also have a different view on canon.
I do see that and read the Mongoose forums, but rarely post there.

That expansion is mostly localized to British fans. There are many Yanks and others who like Mongoose Traveller, but the majority of the youth expansion I see is Brit in nature.

On the other hand, fans like Pakkrat, very much American in locale, are definitely using Mongoose product and sometimes trying to reconcile it with T5.

Quote:
As an observation from a recent thread there called "Canon Timeline?"

The OP asked if the wiki's timeline was canon. I explained relative time periods of ALL the different product lines, the difference between OTU and ATU and the general reason why we oldsters cannot agree to a single canon outside of "canon is for writers".
I wish we could resolve that somehow. I hope Robject's efforts turn up gold.

Quote:
What I got out of the thread is that younger/newer players WANT an advancing/progressing Canon timeline and are reluctant to buy more products unless there is one.
I would tend to agree.

Thanks for sharing your insights. I always appreciate hearing from you.

Shabbat Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Old July 30th, 2016, 06:07 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimsmelchak View Post
Surely. Now we just need the fan base to expand... We're a lot of old farts and not so much fresh blood...

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Until you have more materials in print or available for T5, you are going to have a limited fan base for it. As it is still a work in progress, producing materials for it is not going to be easy.

Mongoose is going to have a growing base as Mongoose is producing materials for its edition of the rules. Aside from "Agent of the Imperium", what material for T5 is out there?
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!
Old July 30th, 2016, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Until you have more materials in print or available for T5, you are going to have a limited fan base for it. As it is still a work in progress, producing materials for it is not going to be easy.

Mongoose is going to have a growing base as Mongoose is producing materials for its edition of the rules. Aside from "Agent of the Imperium", what material for T5 is out there?
Cirque.
Imperiallines.
T5 deckplans

And I'm aware of a couple in progress that are not yet announced.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 30th, 2016, 07:41 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Cirque.
Imperiallines.
T5 deckplans

What is "Cirque"?

And I believe that only 2 Imperialines have been put out, and Robject keeps saying that it is "pining for the fjords". See post 62.

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...t=36076&page=7

Deckplans have limited use to a referee trying to develop an adventure.
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old July 30th, 2016, 07:48 PM

Gallery : 42
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
What is "Cirque"?
Cirque for T5
Old July 30th, 2016, 08:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Cirque.
Imperiallines.
T5 deckplans

Imperiallines and the deckplans promote T5. Cool. But I suspect these do not promote the timeline.
I have read the new Imperiallines. Don't know about the deckplans, I did not buy those yet and generally buy them last. Going off to buy Cirque. Forgot about that one. When does it take place?

Unannounced products are not in motion and difficult for an objective observer to detect dim objects at such distances.
Old July 30th, 2016, 08:46 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
Based on the review in Freelance Traveller, a portion of which is quoted, "Cirque" takes place circa 1110. That would appear to be roughly 800 years prior to the T5 OTU, which is set in 1900. Or do I have the wrong version? I do not do Facebook.

Quote:
The classic era is defined as beginning in 1105 and Cirque starts at the end of 1110, a few months (confusingly, the text says years) after the Fifth Frontier War.

Old July 30th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Going off to buy Cirque. Forgot about that one. When does it take place?
Immediately after the 5th Frontier War (it begins on 345-1110 @ Rhylanor).

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789C–A
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam