Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Magnus' Permatic PBF

Old February 1st, 2016, 04:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
77topaz Citizen
Default Languages of the Permatic Imperium

I know we've had some discussion about this before, but I think it would be useful to make a more comprehensive listing of these, for the purposes of homeworld languages, linguistics and whatnot. Now, obviously NIL would have their own languages, but I'm talking about the human languages here.
  • Anglic - already known to be the main language of the Imperium.
  • Slavic - already known to exist and be spoken of [FS 2228] Astana; could also be spoken on some other worlds like [FS 1920] Breslov.
  • Pendragonman mentioned Martel spoke a language called "Frankish"/"Olde French".
  • Something derived from Chinese, since it is the most spoken language on Earth?
  • Something derived from Spanish, since it is the second most spoken language on Earth? Could be combined with Martel's Frankish, possibly.
  • Something derived from the languages of southern Asia, since those are also spoken by a lot of people on Earth? I've been tossing around my head the idea of an "Arabindic" language consisting of a merger between Arabic and Indian-subcontinent languages. This could be spoken on worlds like [FS 2025] Sekhmet and [FS 2027] Beni Hasan.
  • Something related to Africa or Oceania, since those regions aren't represented in the above?
  • And we'd probably have some a priori (i.e. not related to Terra) human languages as well.

Last edited by 77topaz; February 2nd, 2016 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: Wanted to edit this in when I first posted it, but it got put through moderation and I couldn't see it.
Old February 1st, 2016, 09:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 37
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Thumbs up Nicely done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77topaz View Post
I know we've had some discussion about this before, but I think it would be useful to make a more comprehensive listing of these, for the purposes of homeworld languages, linguistics and whatnot. Now, obviously NIL would have their own languages, but I'm talking about the human languages here.
  • Anglic - already known to be the main language of the Imperium.
  • Slavic - already known to exist and be spoken of [FS 2228] Astana; could also be spoken on some other worlds like [FS 1920] Breslov.
  • Pendragonman mentioned Martel spoke a language called "Frankish"/"Olde French".
  • Something derived from Chinese, since it is the most spoken language on Earth?
  • Something derived from Spanish, since it is the second most spoken language on Earth? Could be combined with Martel's Frankish, possibly.
  • Something derived from the languages of southern Asia, since those are also spoken by a lot of people on Earth? I've been tossing around my head the idea of an "Arabindic" language consisting of a merger between Arabic and Indian-subcontinent languages.
  • Something related to Africa or Oceania, since those regions aren't represented in the above?
  • And we'd probably have some a priori (i.e. not related to Terra) human languages as well.
Also, there are the IAF Battle Languages.

And I agree with your points. For example, the heavy worlder Bibickians have there own language or at least their own Battle Lang.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC