Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Aramis' pbp

Old February 17th, 2014, 12:43 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Wow, I've been reading the book rules on combat, and apparently I totally misunderstood a number of things. However, I'll get to that later, as so far we haven't been having much combat but have been rolling for other things, and I want to make sure I understand those rules.

Aramis said at the beginning that we'd have a modified task system similar to combat, but I'm not sure I understand what that means.

For skill rolls, are we rolling dice equal to our skill, trying to roll less than a target number?

Or is it more like combat, in which number of dice rolled are determined by a stat or the weapon used, and the target number is basically your skill or less (modified by other stuff)?

Do skill rolls have the autosuccess on 1 and autofailure on 6? How does that work if you roll some 1s and some 6s on same attempt - do they cancel out?
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old February 17th, 2014, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

In combat, it's dice by shots fired for skill or less.

If everyone playing agrees, we can switch skills to Attribute dice for skill or less each to be even more like combat, and then make difficulty either a modifier to skill or a number of successes required.

I hadn't brushed up on the rules at that point. I have now.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 17th, 2014, 01:23 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

If nothing else, it would probably save the back-and-forth in PbP if the number of dice to roll was at least something objective and concrete, so we know what to roll when stating an action. Then I guess if a difficulty and modifiers have not already been stated, Aramis can tell us how well we did.

How will we work the saves on combat? Some of the examples given seem quite subjective.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old February 17th, 2014, 01:52 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Combat saves are one of two numbers:

Dice: 1 per wound done.
TN:
1+Armor on melee and fisticuffs
Weapon's save rating on ranged

At least, if I've got it straight in my head.

Note that Armor rating has no bearing on missile weapon saves except when the GM does something (like I did for the older gun).
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 17th, 2014, 03:19 PM

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
1+Armor on melee and fisticuffs
I'm afraid you missrmember for fisticuffs:

Quote:
From Core Rules, page 93 (MC):

Unarmed melee attack: the sabe number isthe sum of Strength and Endrance of the defending target minus the Strength of the attacking caracter.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 05:43 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

The procedure for taking actions within a combat round seems somewhat unclear to me, or if it is really as straightforward as it appears, then it seems to give little advantage to those who by skill or Agility have a higher number of actions per round than their opponents, as the action is most likely over before they get to use any extra actions.

I lay awake the night before last, puzzling over this, had some ideas, and have returned to the idea this afternoon to refine it. I believe that this is how I would handle the actions if I were running a Space: 1889 game (and I have to say, the more I get into the rules for this game, the more I like them!):

The majority of combatants will have three actions or less per combat round. These can all be taken in order as actions B, D, and F.

If a combatant has more than 3 actions per combat round, then the timing of these actions will depend on how many actions he/she has. Just as the placement of all extra actions at the end of the round may make them superfluous, the placement of extra actions at the beginning of the round makes them unreasonably potent for preventing enemies from ever getting to their action slot. This system therefore distributes the extra actions through the round, in an attempt to balance these issues.

Taking of Actions Within a Combat Round

Action slots within a round: any slots that do not have a combatant able to act are ignored:

A - B - C - D - E - F - G

Combatant with 1 action/round acts in slot B
Combatant with 2 actions/round acts in slot B & D
Combatant with 3 actions/round acts in slot B & D & F
Combatant with 4 actions/round acts in slot B & D & E & F
Combatant with 5 actions/round acts in slot B & C & D & E & F
Combatant with 6 actions/round acts in slot A & B & C & D & E & F
Combatant with 7 actions/round acts in slot A & B & C & D & E & F & G

EDIT: I would write this small table on an index card to have handy during play, rather than trying to memorize the list.

I am not aware of any circumstance that would allow more than 7 actions/round; if this occurs, add the extra actions on at the end of the round.

Note that if the GM wants to allow a combatant a "surprise action" due to circumstances, this is easily handled by allowing the combatant to take his first action in slot A, then lose whatever his last action slot would be (or simply allow an extra action in slot A, then remaining actions as normal).

This is just how I have decided that I would do it in a game that I run; offered for consideration of the GM.

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; April 10th, 2014 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: added note re index card
Old April 10th, 2014, 05:29 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Carson is trained in the use of his rifle with a bayonet in close combat. This should include cuts, parries, jabs, and lunges with the sharp end, plus clubbing or butt-stroking with the rifle butt.

Since he is now carrying his rifle without the bayonet, I hope that he can use the same fighting techniques to smack an opponent around with the muzzle of his unloaded rifle, or really lay them out with a butt-stroke. (Question: would this technique cause any risk of damage to the rifle, as in slightly bending the muzzle end of the barrel and putting off his aim?)

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Putting aim off is ALWAYS an issue with rifle-striking techniques, with or without a bayonet fixed. There are 5 ways aim can be put off:
  • Bend Barrel
  • misalign forward sight
  • loosen barrel from stock.
  • Damage stock itself
  • misalign aft sight
Note that the most likely is the last on the list. The odds are pretty low with military rifles of the era - the barrels generally are pretty tough.

The forward sight on the Lee-Metford is a trident on a cuff (The central pin is protected by the side blades); it generally gives and rotates, and can be fixed with hand tools.

The aft sight is a ramp sight - it's near midline, tho', so it's not the usual risk level. Assuming it doesn't snap off sideways, it's able to be put back in place usefully in a matter of about 20 minutes with a screwdriver, albeit normally at the cost of 19-15 rounds of ammunition.

The stock is only likely to break if you're doing a cricket/baseball-bat-swing while holding the barrel - more likely from a miss than a hit, too, tho' a few recorded cases of a hit breaking a stock are known - and the ones I've read about were lethal. The risks of breaking stocks are why rifle-in-melee training includes being told never to swing it like a bat. And, if you've a military career, you've been taught not to do that particular move.

The Stock loosening is easily field fixed short term - a shim - and long term is a couple hand tools, and about an hour.

The overall risk is low, but it's always present. If being used inside, you're more likely to damage the gasbags than the rifle.

The risks of barrel bending/barrel damage were higher for plug bayonets rather than the lug & ring of the Metford's bayonet. Still, bayonets are not supposed to be used for slashing, due to risks of bending. They're used primarily for stabbing.

The normal Close Combat specialization for fixed bayonet use should be Pole Weapon (as noted on p 58); in hand, it's Edged Weapon; the rifle can be used as a club for the Blunt Weapon (also per p. 58).

Note that firing in melee uses Close Combat as well - and since that's a cascade, and the Pistol, Rifle, or Bow specialties are not present for it, I've always treated it as off-specialty use (for half skill).
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old April 10th, 2014, 01:46 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
The normal Close Combat specialization for fixed bayonet use should be Pole Weapon (per p.58); in hand, it's Edged Weapon; the rifle can be used as a club for the Blunt Weapon (also per p. 58).
Are we really being that specialized about it in practice? As you've noted above, although I specified Pole Arm per Soldiers' Companion, Carson's training would have included aspects of Blunt Weapon as well (using the butt-stroke instead of swinging like a bat, as you mentioned).

I'm not arguing this should somehow give hum Blunt Weapon skill with things like maces and clubs, but I think at least with his rifle he should be proficient under Pole Arm skill regardless of which end he uses, as that is how he was trained.

(However, if he had the bayonet alone being used as a Blade, I agree that Edged Weapons would be the proper skill.)

EDIT: As for risk to the gasbags, you've specified the width of the catwalks as 4.5', and the overall length of this rifle is only 4' (49.5"), so I hope that Carson has enough control of his weapon not to be poking it into the gasbags.

SBRD Campaign Wiki