Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Aramis' pbp

Old March 27th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Also, since we are looking at Reality as opposed to straight book rules on some other issues (hydrogen), can we have all or half of our HRC ammo as shrapnel or grapeshot (p.99)? Either of those would seem to be quite useful in aerial combat, but I remember it said somewhere in the rules that HRC ammo is limited to explosive shells due to the size of the shells. However, we don't have the little 1 pounder or 3 pounder HRCs, we have the big 6 pounder HRCs, and it seems reasonable that shrapnel and/or grapeshot should be available in that size. What sayeth the GM?
There have been several years since I read and played Soldiers Companion (I guess it was there, or in IC&EF, as I don't find it in the core book nor in CS&GB), but ITTR that the HRC (as most rotating/Gatling guns) had some limits to the kinds of amo it could fire. I'm not sure if the limits were to grapeshot, to shrapnel or what they where, but ITTR that made them less useful against infantry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladika View Post
I'm bored out of my mind and in to much pain to sleep. So...

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/cann...olving-cannon/
Very nice, TY

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old March 27th, 2014, 03:50 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
WHat the ship has is a GDW "created" 6# HRC, NOT a 6#QF (The QF is out of period - 1900 or so.)
Sigh. OK. The #6 HRC is also out of period, of course, in that it never existed. Do you think the QF is actually more advanced, or just an idea that didn't get built until later? The development path as described in the articles I linked certainly doesn't seem to me to rely on any great tech advance, only a recognition of the right gun for the job.

So we have, what, something like a #1 HRC, but bigger?

As you say, this is a made-up gun that did not really exist, so who is to say that some intelligent fellow would not have seen the utility of having shrapnel and/or grapeshot shells for it?

What about carrying a box or two of shrapnel/grapeshot for use in single-shot fire only, to avoid the auto-fire jamming problems that you mentioned?

Or do we just have over-sized machineguns that are useless against other airships unless we get lucky and hit something solid enough to make the shell explode rather than simply passing through?
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old March 27th, 2014, 04:10 PM

Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++

Quote:
Or do we just have over-sized machineguns that are useless against other airships unless we get lucky and hit something solid enough to make the shell explode rather than simply passing through?
Timer fuses were available at that time. The most primitive were simply a pre-cut length of fuse with a known burn rate. It was ignited by the hot gases in the barrel on firing and did not have to be separately lit. "Dial" fuses, preset, and screwed into the shell were also used. In any case the range must be known with relative accuracy.

You can always aim for the boiler, engine, motors etc., should time delay fuses not use available. Chain shot, or bar shot, from a smooth-bore (6# Brass Horse Artillery piece or Mountain Gun) could do some amazing damage to the structure of the ships in use.

:oo: “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.” - George Orwell, Animal Farm :devil:

Lord Michael - Heretic
Baron Emape
Spinward Marches, Five Sisters, 0133 B564500-B
Old March 27th, 2014, 04:19 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog

Quote:
Well, in fact, the 6# HRC is depicted in game as an anti-ship weapon, more tan anything else. About going through a ship without doing too much damage if the pen power is higher tan the armor, this is already ruled in CS&GB.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old March 27th, 2014, 06:15 PM

Gallery : 42
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

For what little it might be worth, historic airships (blimps and Zeppelins) are so darn big that putting holes in the envelope (whether an over-penetrating one big shell hole or a whole bunch of little over-penetrating machine gun holes) had very little impact on buoyancy ... it just takes so long for enough of the gas to leak out.

What a bag of hydrogen really fears are tracers. Incendiary plus H2 plus air equals very bad.

This is just from my reading about historic airships.
I have no idea about the mechanics of the Space1889 combat rules.
Old March 27th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

with weapon, I much ptefer sticking to what is written.

As for the 6# HRC vs 6# QF, the QF is a more advanced weapon, due to a rotating breech and recoil operation. There was a period 6# shell, there were plans for, but no construction of, a 6# HRC, using the same action, scaled up, as the historic 1#.

due to the action, feeding nonstandard is technically doable, but you can't load anything the wrong length and shape or it will jam. And the feed is designed only for crimped centerfire cartridge 6# rear mounted impact fuse pointed nose explosive shells, firing at 1-1.5 rounds per second. The overall rounds are probably nigh on 20# complete, and it will fire them as fast as you feed them.

There is no single shot mode. with the 5 barrels, it's ejecting two, loading one, seating one, and firing the last. It is crank operated, too... muscle, not powder, cycles the weapon, and it's probably 200# barrel set.

Good news... it can't "run away" it is limited to the ammo in the feed
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 27th, 2014, 08:31 PM

Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++

I believe there is an error in the HP for fuel consumption/endurance: 50 days on 10 tons of coal?

Also, how is the weight of the ships armor calculated?

:oo: “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.” - George Orwell, Animal Farm :devil:

Lord Michael - Heretic
Baron Emape
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:46 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
What a bag of hydrogen really fears are tracers. Incendiary plus H2 plus air equals very bad.
You're right. The tracers were used with quite good effect against the Zeppelins bombing UK starting in (IIRC) 1917.

In fact, I was about to suggest tracers as a new invention (explosives knowledge), giving modifiers to the TH roll (dependent on its reliability) and starting fires (as martian fire liquid) on airships, but only usable for automatic weapons (HRC, Gatlings, etc..). I had doubts about the numbers to give (knowledge needed and reliability roll).

Quote:
I believe there is an error in the HP for fuel consumption/endurance: 50 days on 10 tons of coal?
You're right too. If you see the cell, it says 10/2=50, what's obviously wrong, as 10/2=5. The HP endurance on coal is 5 days (that, given most time it will cruise as a kite, was deemed enough for combat and landing/taking off opperations, that is when the steam engine is used). Fixed now.

Quote:
Also, how is the weight of the ships armor calculated?
According CS&GB armor weights 10 tons per AF per size factor. So, the HP's armor, being armor 1 and size 1.5, weights 15 tons (as shown in the table).

Old March 28th, 2014, 09:44 AM

McPerth

I came across the following from Science Marches On by James L. Cambias, (written for Space:1889) Maybe it'll be helpful.

A publication for new, as yet undiscovered, inventions.
Quote:
COMBUSTION
Incendiary Bullets: (17,2). These bullets, impregnated with phosphorous or some similar chemical, are especially effective against highly flammable targets (such as zeppelins). Objects hit by incendiary bullets have a chance of catching fire equal to the reliability. The effect on living targets is normal, Price: Ł1 per 50 rounds.
Now, to pester you further...

The HP weight of 33 listed for the gun sponsons?

Also:

Hull size...

In the core rules, p70 inventions, Improved Liftwood, it eludes to a hull size off 1 per 50 lifted tons? (referencing Sky Galleons of Mars) I thought that a hull size of 1 per 100 tons was correct. Do you know where that comes from?

Thanks in advance. I'm wading through this with my deteriorating vision problems the best I can and help is much appreciated.

Lord Michael - Heretic
Baron Emape
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:02 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog

Quote:
McPerth

I came across the following from Science Marches On by James L. Cambias, (written for Space:1889) Maybe it'll be helpful.

A publication for new, as yet undiscovered, inventions.
Quite interesting. So, the needed knowledge would be 17 (I guess in explosives) and the reliability number 2...

I'd add a to hit bonus equal to 1/2 reliability (rounded down) at long range for auto weapons (MGs and HRC)

Quote:
Now, to pester you further...

The HP weight of 33 listed for the gun sponsons?
Not pestering me at all.

Again, according to CS&GB armor can be added for free to guns if they only fire at one side, as they are assumed to be under armor, but they add 1/10 of its weight per armor factor if they can fire at more tan one angle (turrets or sponsoons). So, the two HRC (15 ton each, so 30 ton) withing armor 1 sponsoons (10% added) weight a total of 33 tons.

Quote:
Also:

Hull size...

In the core rules, p70 inventions, Improved Liftwood, it eludes to a hull size off 1 per 50 lifted tons? (referencing Sky Galleons of Mars) I thought that a hull size of 1 per 100 tons was correct. Do you know where that comes from?
I don't know. In CS&GB a hull size is able to lift up to 160 tons (albeit at reduced altitudes). I don't own IC&EF, and thre's a longtime since I read it, so I don't remember how it treated it (Aramis stated that it allows for partial HS and that in EF 100 tons per HS could be lift up to ether propeller altittude).

Quote:
Thanks in advance. I'm wading through this with my deteriorating vision problems the best I can and help is much appreciated.
You're wellcome. I always thought this game should also be used as infromation and example for playing 1889 (a game that has not the fame it deserves, IMHO). That was also the reason to show as detailed as it was in the McBean's Ressearch thread the ressearch and invention process (something quite unique of this game, AFAIK).