Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Sylean Academy of Art and Design

Sylean Academy of Art and Design Computer graphics, physical models, and other artistic projects

Old June 20th, 2017, 06:07 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
ShawnDriscoll Citizen
Default Free Trader

I spent a few hours, playing with different apps I have, doing various draft models of the Free Trader. It will be a lo-res model when completed. Something that I don't want to spend more than a couple days on. Which meant Hexagon would be used. Ha!

Amapi Pro is great at NURBS. But it is a terrible box-modeler, which I was finding worked better for this kind of object. I had forgotten that Hexagon does boolean cutting, which speeds up the modeling process as well. I'm hoping I don't have to do too much clean-up work on the mesh, once I'm done cutting chunks out of it.

Because I'm old-school, when it comes to modeling Traveller ships, I tend to use only the first drawing made of a ship for reference. I have no idea what the back or bottom of the Free Trader looks like, because there is only the one image of it in The Traveller Book hardcover on page 64. Maybe I have some notes that I took about that back in the day still. Otherwise, creative license as usual.

Like all models I make, this one will also be done by eyeballing things. No tracing.
Old June 21st, 2017, 06:46 AM

ShawnDriscoll Citizen

Still have some more details to add first before UV mapping and painting it for space renders soon.

Old June 21st, 2017, 10:22 AM
Peer of the Realm

Bravesteel Citizen

That's shaping up really nicely! Great work!

IMTU tc- mgt ru+ ge 3i+ jt+ au- IS pi+ ta he+ kk+ hi+ as(-) va (-) dr+ ith+ vr+ ne so zh- vi da sy
Old June 21st, 2017, 02:58 PM

Gallery : 4
ranger2261 Citizen

Rock on shawn, it looks great
Old June 21st, 2017, 06:49 PM

ShawnDriscoll Citizen

Thanks.

I'm staring at a finished mesh now. Deciding on what the ship texture will look like. Steel, iron, rust, dented, charred, stainless, primer, glossy, chrome, tinted, dinged, riveted, welded, scuffed, scratched, soot, pitted, shiny, reflective, bright, dark, gun metal, refurbished, re-purposed.

Last edited by ShawnDriscoll; June 21st, 2017 at 09:41 PM..
Old June 22nd, 2017, 07:11 AM

ShawnDriscoll Citizen

What a piece of junk!

Maybe the players will find this long-abandoned ship, and work on restoring it. Maybe even discover a story that once belonged to it. Probably worth more as scrap though.