View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
rfmcdpei Citizen
Send a message via AIM to rfmcdpei

[QUOTE=epicenter00;252605]The entire Central Asian War and it's outcome is pretty fishy to me - almost as bad as an independent Texas or how long it takes MilGov and CivGov to reconcile their differences. Or how nothing particularly thunderous occurs to Canada after the Twilight War and they really don't do a thing. Or how the South American giants powerful enough to challenge the combined might of the ESA's member nations ... do little after that.

Quote:
* Given the high-tech nature of France's fighting forces and the universally "soot-belching-1960s" backwardness of the Manchus, why was France having such a hard time? The weapons given in 2300's sourcebooks for the Manchus aren't any good at all, quite honestly - all of their equipment is outdated and exemplars of archaic or poor design. The CAW isn't some insurgency where the Manchus can hide amongst the civilians and strike at French PKFs, it's out-and-out war, where Manchuria can challenge France both on Earth and is able to even strike into the French Arm - while fearsome Manchu warriors might count for a lot, I have a lot of difficulty believing that the Manchus, as presented in 2300, could have stood a chance against the French to that extent.
Bureaucratic inefficiency, as you suggest, probably plays a major role. I'd also suggest that internal French divisions also played a role in limiting the scope of the French military response. "Faut-il mourir pour Alma-Ata?", that kind of thing. In the canonical 2300AD timeline, the cost of the Central Asian War prompted the military coup. In this timeline, with the war quite visibly and massively lost, what mightn't the military do? A dirty war on the Argentine model might even be possible.

Quote:
With the 1800s nature of the 2300 world, I don't actually think the Manchus would need to actually take Russia (though I think I recall the comment about the Manchus driving deep in into Russia). This is a colonial contest at its core - if the Manchus defeat the Russian occupation forces and field armies and look to threaten Russia, Russia would probably sue for peace and pull out. Manchuria would probably have its hands full with France so would accept.
All true, but out of late 19th century warfare there's nothing more dramatic than the siege and eventual investiture of Paris in 1870-1871.

Quote:
* A larger Manchu investment/presence in Joi as well. Perhaps Manchu vessels in orbit over Joi to guarantee Joi's independence (which would probably be looked at with resentment by the Elysian rebels) - the situation might be pretty similar to Adlerhorst. If the Japanese fought on the side of the French and lost, Joi would probably be the biggest powderkeg in the human sphere, making Adlerhorst look like a picnic. An independent but Manchu-backed Elysia sharing a world with a Japanese colony in the middle of an arm dominated by French interests.
To say nothing about the presence of Halbinsel. Britain and Azania were neutral, right?