View Single Post
Old July 20th, 2019, 07:26 AM
Baron

Gallery : 0
Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+

I had hoped to provide the bit of code to the community, as my 2019 birthday present. Sadly, work issues took up a lot of time, and dealing with the potential to start job-hunting again took up even more time.

That said, here's what I'm doing as my 2019 Hobbit Style Birthday present.

Code:
Crew

Pilot: Lizabeth Colon [ F ] 897758 ( 5 terms) Age: 39    Brawling-1, Carouse-2, Pilot-3
    Navigator: Coralee Maury [ F ] 87B986 ( 3 terms) Age: 31    Brawling-2, Navigation-2
    Engineers:
        Noble Barna [ M ] 8C7649 ( 2 terms) Age: 28    Carouse-1, Engineering-2, Vehicle-1
        Winford Hanssen [ M ] 883632 ( 5 terms) Age: 41    Carouse-1, Engineering-3, Survival-2
    Medic: Kip Rey [ M ] A62774 ( 3 terms) Age: 32    Carouse-1, Medic-2, Survival-1
    Steward: Murray Nilsen [ M ] 388896 ( 5 terms) Age: 39    Brawling-1, Carouse-1, Gamble-1, Steward-3
    Gunners:
        Jimmy Munro [ M ] 985442 ( 4 terms) Age: 35    Brawling-2, Gunner-3, Stealth-1
        Theron Pollard [ M ] 654968 ( 5 terms) Age: 40    Brawling-1, Gamble-1, GunCbt-1, Gunner-3
There are lots of ways to make this better, and the code repo issues page has a list of known improvements.

While the code is always free and open, that's not this year's present. Ruby is an easy language to learn, if you've thought about wanting to program but never picked up on it, or if you did stuff "back in the day" and would like to learn a modern object oriented language, there's no time like the present!

And that is 2019's present. I'm not a Ruby master, my code is very simple. I am an experienced mentor, and would be happy to help one or two people learn to program. If you're willing to do the work to learn, you can be enjoying your first Ruby in a matter of hours. You can probably read the project's code in a matter of days. In a week or two, at most, you can edit it locally to put in the skills and business logic you prefer.

Think about it. I'll be off-line for a week or so, you have time to poke at Ruby and see if it is for you. You can: