Old November 12th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Visit Jeff M. Hopper's Blog
Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+
Quote:
Originally posted by Gnusam Netor:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tobias:
I think that everyone can agree that obtaining unpaid PDFs of products that are still in print, or to be reprinted, by companies, is hurting the gaming industry.
I respectfully disagree.

1. I don’t see that – without exception – the gaming industry is hurt by “obtaining unpaid PDFs” as you wrote. In some cases sure, but not all.

2. In order to “hurt” the creator or copyright owner, you need to remove something from them. I don’t believe that income that they never got is something they lost – you can't lose what you never had.
</font>[/QUOTE]Oh boy, do I disagree with Gnusam Netor here.

Now, one thing that I have learned from the Internet is that gaming is a cottage industry for most people, the profits are very marginal. If they are making any money off of their intellectual property, it is because people have to pay for it. If they were not interested in making money off of their intellectual property, then they would not be asking for money in exchange for that intellectual property. By illegal file sharing, you are saying that a RPG writer's hard work is worth nothing through your actions. If enough RPG writers find that they are not making any money at what they do, then they will go and do something else in order to make money - leaving being an RPG writer behind. As this happens, the source material for the RPG which is so desireable that you find it necessary to steal dries up - leaving nothing eventually.

In short, illegal file sharing of RPG material is robbing from the poor. Why do that and damage an already marginal industry?
TAS Member Corr 0213 Erlu B7C0626-9