View Single Post
Old April 30th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Not all Career Templates are going to be the same. Different careers have different ways of Beginning. Different careers have different hazards for their Risks, and different benefits for their Rewards. Some careers (esp military) have Ranks, Promotions, and Commissions. Some careers allow you to choose whether to Continue in another term; some require a roll to Continue, and may even require you to Continue. You have to read the specifications for your career carefully before making a template. However, I think it is safe to say that most career templates will require a roll to Begin (if your PC's first term in that career), a roll for Risk, a roll for Reward, awarding of skills, and a roll to Continue.

Note on skills: I mentioned in my first post in this thread the problems with using the die-roller to determine skills in a template like this. For previous versions of Frank Masuda, I have just rolled skills with dice. This time I am going to try an alternative, letting the die-roller roll the row number with dice, then I will choose which column to use on the skill table. We'll see how well that works.

Note on choosing Characteristics for Risk/Reward rolls: Some careers will give you a choice of characteristics to roll against for Risk and Reward. Whichever characteristic you choose to use for Risk in one term, you also use for Reward in that same term. Also, if your PC takes any injury on Risk, the injury is applied to that same characteristic. However, you cannot just keep using your best of the available characteristics on every terms's Risk/Reward. Before you can use that characteristic again, you first have to cycle through all of the other available choices. I use C* below to indicate where you choose a characteristic to roll against.

-------------------------------------------------
Entry Template for Scout Career:

Begin: roll [roll]2d6[/roll] <=6; if failed, roll [roll]2d6[/roll]<=C5(Edu).

(Scouts may avoid Risk and Reward, and only receive 4 skills rather than 8, by choosing Courier duty.)

Risk: C* roll [roll]2d6[/roll]; if failed, injury of Roll-C*, less healing of [roll]1d6[/roll], is applied to C*.

Reward: C* roll [roll]2d6[/roll]; upon success, your PC has made a Discovery!

Skills: Scouts get 8 skills/term:
Rows in Skill Table: [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll]

Continue: roll [roll]2d6[/roll]<=Int

--------------------------------------------
Entry Template for Agent Career:

Begin: roll [roll]2d6[/roll] <=C3(End).

Undercover: Agents roll for one Undercover assignment each Term, then may choose any skill from the Career Role to which they were assigned.
Undercover Role: [roll]1d3[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d3[/roll]

Risk: C* roll [roll]2d6[/roll]; if failed, injury of Roll-C*, less healing of [roll]1d6[/roll], is applied to C*.

Reward: C* roll [roll]2d6[/roll]; upon success, your PC has earned a Commendation of C*-Roll.

Skills: Agents get 2 skills/term; 1 skill for Undercover; 4 skills for success on Reward roll.
2 skills/term: Rows in Skill Table: [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll]
1 Undercover skill: see above Undercover
4 skills if success on Reward: Rows in Skill Table: [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll]

Continue: roll [roll]2d6[/roll]<=(Str+Terms)

---------------------------------------

Next: Applying Career Templates to Frank Masuda
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; May 1st, 2014 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: fixed extra skill on Agent template