View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2020, 10:44 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit Carlobrand's Blog
Carlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
There are a couple of other options.

...2 - reduce the cost of lower TL pp in HG so that low TL plants are big and cheap while high TL plants are smaller but more expensive,
Considered that one once. Triggered a discussion where people pointed out that new tech was often less expensive than older tech, this computer I'm typing on being an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Yup, you really need to import the reduced cost standard hull as well.
Damn, forgot to mention that detail. That was an important point. Yes, we're also using the reduced cost standard hull where needed to reduce costs further. Thanks for reminding me.

I'm of two minds there. Option one is simplest: we rationalize it by saying we're recycling old hulls, pulling out all the innards and build the new ship inside of them. Ships whose designs are old enough and common enough that they show up in significant numbers for recycle serve as the basis for cut-rate hulls. I figured when Striker threw tank-armor hulls at me, I could make a bit of lemonade out of it by riding that for the standard hull rule.

Option 2 is a bit more complicated in that I'd need to adjust the Book-5 combat rules a bit, but it allows me to integrate Book 2 features a bit more effectively: the so-called "standard" hull is a seriously cheap hull adequate for space flight but not intended for combat. Canon descriptions of entry through the hull have you cutting through a hull of the same thickness as the inner bulkheads. I think we argued at one time for that to be equivalent to something like an inch thick steel. Book 2 combat made this the stuff that missiles could do multiple hits to, thin enough that power plant and jump drive hits are a possibility. So, the hull is a metal plate faced with ceramic heat tiles, mounted on a structure of girdering and backed with a thick section of a lightweight radiation-absorbing plastic, atop another metal plate, the whole sufficient to stop radiation and most micrometeor hits but no more difficult to penetrate than the typical bulkhead when attacked with personal energy weapons. Space combat weapons striking a ship equipped with a "standard" hull do not receive the +6 damage DM when using the High Guard combat rules and, in the unlikely event a "standard hull" comes under fire by a weapon with a rating of A+ (i.e. spinal mounts), that weapon receives a -6 to the damage roll (which means more than half the time the result will be a critical). And, no, they are not as hardy as the ships described in Adventure 12, Secret of the Ancients; they aren't intended for operations in deep water or deep in a gas giant atmosphere.
Comments made are for the purpose of offering alternative campaign settings for consideration. The writer acknowledges that Traveller is intended to emulate certain common science fiction tropes and that, in the course of emulating those tropes and providing a better playing experience, some liberties must be taken with science. No statement by the writer should be interpreted as constituting a criticism of the game on that basis ... except for that bit about Virus. Dude, really?!