View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2019, 01:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Visit ManOfGrey's Blog
ManOfGrey Citizen
Default Great example! Thank you for choosing a 13 as the "relevant" stat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
The difference is when things are not so average. Let's assume relevant stat is 13 and task difficult:
  • in T4: stat + skill is 14, so you need to roll 14- on 2.5d6. Only fail in catastrophic failure...
This is a great example, since you chose the "relevant" stat as 13. It illustrates exactly what I'm suggesting. Using the "point buy" system I have outlined above, if you work out the math, this player may only choose one stat to be 13. This uses up all of their characteristic points. Since your next example was a Medic, I am going to assume the player chose Intelligence to be that characteristic. Assuming this is what happens, this character's UPP is 555D55.

You're correct. He's a super-genius. But that's all he does. Yes. On any Intelligence based skill, he can almost never fail a Difficult task.

But on any other Difficult task roll, based on any other stat with a skill of 1, his odds are 5+1 = 6 or less on 2.5d6. The average roll on 2.5d6 is 9. He will fail 84.3% of all (skill-1) Difficult tasks he tries, besides ones based on Intelligence.

If someone wants to make a character that throws all their eggs in one basket like this, that fine, as far as I'm concerned. As long as they have to give up something in return. No one gets to do everything! If this example character wants to shoot a gun, pilot a spaceship, or use a vacc suit, and it's a Difficult task, he will only succeed 15.7% of the time. That's the consequence of having a 13 Intelligence. If one stat goes up, then one stat has to come down. If one stat goes up a lot, then a lot of stats have to come down.

Last edited by ManOfGrey; June 26th, 2019 at 02:20 PM..