View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2019, 02:53 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

The size of the ship. The Iowa-class were designed to be 45,000 ton Standard, with the Standard defined in the 1922 Washington Naval Treaty, and which used the long ton of 2240 pounds. The 45,000 tons did not include the 9000 tons of bunker fuel carried. To compute the ship size in terms of Traveller dTons, take the 45,000 tons representing the amount and volume of salt water displaced by the hull, and multiply by 2. That will give you a good approximation of the interval volume of the hull, so 90,000 tons.

As the long ton was larger than the metric ton, you might want to divide the 90,000 by 13.5 as compensation. That equates to 6,667 dTons or so.

As it looks like the rules do not have any significant armor before Tech Level 7 with Titanium, I will give what the armor actually was. The main belt was 12.1 inches thick of Class A Face-hardened Armor sloped at 19 degrees to the vertical to increase its effective resistance. The Class B Armor, rolled homogeneous machinable quality armor was by the time just about as resistant as the Class A armor, and cheaper to manufacture. In addition, as the main belt was internal, the outer hull covering it was composed of 60 pound, 1.5 inches, of Special Treated Steel plate, which was also armor. This acted as a decapping plate for armor-piecing projectiles, so as to reduce their effectiveness in penetrating the belt. The main belt stretched clear to the ship double bottom in much thinner thickness to protect against diving shells. This did mess up the torpedo protection system a bit, but that gets into quite technical areas.

Note, as you appear to be using Iron Armor, Face-Hardened armor was rated at 2.6 times the resistance of Wrought Iron plate. In the thicknesses used in the Iowa-Class, it was also quite expensive. Then you also have the deck armor to account for, which was 3.5 inches as a basis and with added additional splinter armor protection. Then there was the turret armor, and the 10 pound armor around the 40mm guns and the armor on the 5 inch gun mounts.

The New Jersey was equipped as a Fleet Flagship with additional quarters for a Fleet Commanders staff, which increased officer accommodation by quite a bit. If I remember correctly, the other three were equipped as Task Force flagships. As I am not at home, I will have to check.

There is also a good write up on the Iowas in Duilin and Garske's US Battleships of World War 2. I have that in hard copy as well. Then there are the remainder of the Norm Friedman Design and Development series covering Aircraft Carriers, Cruisers, Destroyers, and Small Surface Combatants. I have those, but I am missing his book on Amphibious Ship development.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.

Last edited by timerover51; May 23rd, 2019 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: Added Comments