View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2018, 03:18 AM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I didn't have a problem with the size of CT computers back in the day and I still don't

A Traveller ship computer, even in CT, days if anything is too small not too big.

It is equivalent to today's supercomputers, not an I-pad.

What a model 1 can do:

run a nuclear fusion reactor (ever seen the size of the server rooms at CERN?)

run the environmental systems - this includes gravity and acceleration compensation

run the avionics, sensors, comms

control a maneuver drive

run or plot an n-body hyperdimensional transit

Now harden the thing so exposure to radiation in space isn't going to cause it to go belly up...

I see this argument a lot - mostly from people who think a desktop can do all this stuff. They can't. Our desktops also have one other advantage, the interwebs which is actually several millions tons of computer equipment (a local network can be smaller ).

As to a library data search taking hours - there is a difference between Wikipedia and actual research. I would allow players to get a brief overview in a couple of minutes, but proper info takes longer.

Last edited by mike wightman; August 15th, 2018 at 11:33 AM..