Thread: High Guard 1
View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2003, 10:05 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
marginaleye Citizen
I don't have a copy of the first edition of the "High Guard" rules, but if they're even remotely similiar to the second edition, I think removing the rules for using fusion-rocket maneuver drives as weapons was probably a good idea. Why? Because the "High Guard" system doesn't have rules for the consumption of reaction mass (at least the second edition certainly doesn't) -- which is a big enough issue that it really can't (or at least shouldn't) be "hand-waved" away. Implying that maneuver drives are reactionless thrusters (as the second edition does) is more in keeping with the complexity level of the design system as a whole.

That being said, I really wish there were rules of fusion rockets, HEPlaR, and other non-reactionless maneuver drives for "High Guard." It would bring a lot of badly-needed "color" to the system, especially for lower Tech Levels.

The big problem, as I see it, is that writing in rules for non-reactionless maneuver drives would demand one think seriously about starship mass, in addition to starship volume, which would greatly increase the complexity level.