View Single Post
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:30 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladika View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonner
Let go of Classic Traveller. It is just extra baggage that Mongoose Traveller knows nothing about. People paralyze themselves by hanging onto another game's rules.
Heresy! Sacrilege!
Wrong and missing the point. Low berths are from CT. High lethality is from CT (as Wil pointed out, it was drastically reduced in subsequent versions). So Mongoose's use of them is specifically a case of hanging on to Classic Traveller. (Not that there is anything wrong with that, as long as the CT stuff makes sense. "If it's not broken, don't change it; if it is broken, DO change it" as I like to put it).

And it was a big misunderstanding back in CT, since the writers who originally derived it from E.C. Tubb's Dumarest books didn't appreciate the difference between the non-existent interstellar government in Dumarest and an interstellar government that promulgates starship safety regulations (e.g. Signal GK) in Traveller. Nor did he realize the difference between unplanned use of low berths intended for livestock transportation to transport humans in and regular use of low berths intended for human use that authorities hand out passage vouchers for (Mustering out befenfits).

And the Low Lottery is IMO ridiculous any way you look at it (except as an urban myth; it makes a lovely urban myth).

Hans