Thread: Trade Goods
View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2019, 06:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I am been looking at the Trade Goods Table a fair amount, and I am running into a problem that I need to find the solution.

The problem is when I start plugging stowage factors into the volume occupied by the Traveller dTon, which is the standard for measuring ship displacement.

Let's look at the case of general food goods which I will plug in under Basic Consumable Goods. The stated cost per ton is 1000 Credits. Based on the U.S. Army Transportation Reference Manual, I should be able to put 5 tons of mixed food goods into a Traveller dTon. The standard TL 9 200 Merchant has 85 dTons of cargo space. Therefore, I could put 425 tons of mixed food goods into that ship. Assuming that I do well buying them on an Agricultural planet, I might pay 600 credits per ton of food. When I sell them, I just manage an 8 on the Sales die roll, and sell them for 1000 credits per ton. My gross profit per ton is 400 credits, giving me 170,000 credits, well in excess of the 85,000 credits I could have earned by carrying cargo for hire. If I had rolled better, say a 12, my gross profit would be 425,000 Credits. That can make speculative trading even in basic goods quite lucrative. If I go to the expanded table, it could get even more interesting.

Now I need to figure out how I soak up all of the potential ready profits in speculative trading.
Do you have a security clearance? 1 Dec. Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.