Thread: MGT Only: Fighters in Combat
View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2017, 05:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
Sure, if you have the time for so many rolls (or if you resort to stastical results, but I hate them).
I would resort to statistical or software after just a few rolls...

Quote:
And personally I guess we agreed we found an errata (mesons should not be affected by armour), not that mesons are a bad choice....
Sorry I misunderstood. My hit rate yesterday seems to be quite low.

Mesons should not be affected by armour of course, but that would make them completely unbalanced, without any effective defence before TL14 - 15. I such case we would have to find some balancing factor...

Quote:
See that at Distant range the sensors (MB, page 144) only allow for visual and termal minimal results, defined as basic outline of objects for visual (size irrlevant, it seems) and hot and cold overall for termal.

In any case, MB page 146 talks about combats begining at long range (unless near a planet, where it would be short or médium)
I run simple logic: If I'm at war and see warships that refuse to identify themselves I fire.
We can hit at Distant range, so I start to fire at Distant range.
Starting at shorter range would require exceptional circumstances.

Quote:
My math is -2+5+2-2+3+4-15-4= -9...

If so, only with a 12 result they will have a 10% result (as the total barrage is 52, that would be 5 fighters)
You are correct, I seem to have consistently flipped the sign of the range modifier. All my calculations were completely wrong, well, time to start over I guess...

Quote:
If firing individual, the DMs would be -2 (range), -2 (Dodge) +3 skill, as neither the dice, armor of fighter wing DMs do not apply.
A barrage can be very small, it is simply all the weapons of the same type fired on the same target.
With 100 enemy fighters there is no lack of targets, so each barbette can fire a barrage on an individual fighter (with enough gunners).

You are right, we can also use basic attacks, another alternative to evaluate...

Ok, let's see if I can do better:
Let's start at Distant range:
The ship fires at
Bays: -2[range] +5[software] +2[VHYield] -2[dodge] +3[skill] +9[dice] -15[armour] -4[flight] = -4, so we need to roll 7+ to kill 12 fighters for an average of 7 fighters per round.

Barbettes: -2[range] +5[software] +2[VHYield] -2[dodge] +3[skill] +4[dice] -15[armour] -4[flight] = -9. This is 2.8% chance to kill 14 (limited by turret gunners) fighters for an average of 0.4 fighters.
Barbettes, 15 barrages of 2: -2[range] +1[software] +2[VHYield] -2[dodge] +3[skill] +4[dice] -15[armour] = -9. This is 15 × 2.8% chance to kill a fighter for an average of 0.4 fighters.
Barbettes, 15 basic: -2[range] +1[software] -2[dodge] +3[skill] = ±0. This is 15 × 42% × 55% chance to kill a fighter for an average of 3.5 fighters.

Totally about 10 fighters are killed each round.

At 12 G against my slow capital 2 G (+dodge) you can decrease the range by ~8 each turn while dodging. It will take 50 / 8 ≈ 7 turns to close in to Very Long and another 3 rounds to Long range.

All fighters are killed before reaching Long range.

Let's try this instead:

With 3 × Reinforced hull it takes 9 + 1 points of damage to kill it.
And it has a gunner.

Its about 50% more expensive and 50% larger (so more expensive carrier). Let's say we get 65 of these for 100 of the 10 Dt fighters.

The ship fires at
Bays: -2[range] +5[software] +2[VHYield] -2[dodge] +3[skill] +9[dice] -15[armour] -4[flight] = -4, for an average of 5 fighters per round.

Barbettes, 15 basic: -2[range] +1[software] -2[dodge] +3[skill] = ±0. This is 15 × 42% × 2.67 = 16.8 damage for an average of 1.7 fighters.

Totally about 7 fighters are killed each round.

The fighters fire at (65 barrage attacks since the ship can't dodge 65 times):
Turret: -2[range] +5[software] +2[VHYield] +3[skill] +3[dice] -15[armour] = -4 giving an average damage of about 0.26 × 3 × 65 = 50 damage.

Since we lose some fighters each round we do less damage every round:
1: 50
2: 45
3: 39
4: 34
5: 28
6: 23
7: 18
8: 12
9: 5
for a total of 254 damage of 284. The ship barely survives, killing all fighters.

The fighters do better, but still lose...