Thread: Non OTU: Crew requirements
View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dray View Post
This is all great stuff.

I didn't realize the displacement was liquid Hydrogen instead of water. That makes tons (ha!) of sense. Thanks for the conversion.

Is "Td" the standard unit symbol used in Traveller? I could swear I saw "dT" somewhere.

2 Td per soldier is in line with the MgT double-occupancy rules, actually. Pushing that down to 1 Td/soldier does less violence to my intuition as I draw deck plans. Mind you, that's if I assume that each soldier gets their own bunk and never shares space. If only 1/3 of the crew sleeps at a time, you need much less space for bunks, but you still need the other standard accouterments. I suspect soldiers want their own bunks, though.

One interesting thing about ship design in Nova Roma:

The hackdrive relies on a relativistic bubble around the ship. This 1) eliminates the need for streamlining for entering an atmosphere, and 2) pushes ship architecture toward a more spherical shape, rather than a "torch" design. It gives my ships more of a "fat" profile, which is a lot of fun, but in a lot of ways harder to design deckplans for. (I've dabbled in architecture all my life, so this is fun for me, though.)
I can point you to the general arrangement deck plans for a US Coast Guard buoy tender, that is considerably smaller than your star ship and which had a crew of about 50, if that would help. The plans also show messing areas and stores spaces. The assumed endurance was 60 days, so you would just have to scale that up for stores. The benches in the messing area on the tender were used for storage, as were the benches on the US WW2 submarines. I also have copies of the plans that I could email to you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.