Thread: Shuttle Loss
View Single Post
Old February 4th, 2003, 11:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

Gallery : 0
Bishop Odo Citizen
I’m sorry but ultimately the NASA's budget will be the major underlining factor in the accident, or the reason for the limited options for repair or inspection in space. Now that’s a bold statement, but if you examine the program, budget cuts, age of the vehicles, replacement programs cut, and, yes, safety programs: you will find that the budget will be a major factor in the accident. NASA, congress and the White House will never admit this because of politics and NASA will take on for the team, so to speak. Space is a hard sell to congress, because let’s face it most of their constituency are stupid. Sorry to be blunt, but science isn’t in most Americans vocabulary. Those who want to spend the money else ware are often dealing with the lowest common denominator of the American people and could care less about space.

In the last few years there have been plenty of reports about the aging fleet of shuttles. How many of the part needed to keep it flying were no longer in production, how systems that were never designed to be replaced had to be, adding to turn around time because complexity and the fact systems are buried behind replaceable components. After all, the shuttle was designed in the 1970’s using the standard technology of the day, while a more technological exotic design was scraped. Of course, that technological exotic design is commonplace now. Why didn’t NASA have an extra long boom extension or camera to inspect the titles and why doesn’t every shuttle have a docking ring? I will wait patiently for the final report and my support will not waiver, accident happen.

If there is a fallacy in my argument: It’s that even if NASA had a huge budget with backups, the Columbia accident may have still occurred. I would just like encourage everyone to keep the budgeting concerns in their mind, no mater how many sacrificial lambs NASA may offer up to the political altar of sensationalism. Most of us here are of a common ilk; we want to increases our knowledge of space and explore that frontier. I support NASA, but I understand the need consistent funding and fiscal matters can reduce options. In science and life, we can learn for our greatest triumphs and our most horrendous tragedies, but we must recognize them for what they are, in order to truly learn from them both.

http://mattersofscale.blogspot.com/