View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
You know, I thought someone would throw that at me. And I guess that's kind of true. But it's like most of the games I saw at the convention weren't the complex fare of days of yore (80s) but fantasy oriented Parker Brothers kind of stuff. Monopoly in Middle Earth as opposed to an old Avalon classic like Midway (which I used to have) or Wood Ships and Iron Men.
Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me. The production values of games have gone way up. But with bigger pieces, you lose density.

I recall memories of some monster war game covering two tables with a 1000 counters set up at a convention, to wit it seemed all that happened was the front line moved back and forth a few hexes over a couple days.

I recall the board of Advanced Third Reich, with the black and brown of the Eastern front meshed together like gears and chain.

I remember being in a pick up SFB game (pretty much all I played at conventions was pick up SFB), and the Facilitator of the nearby Rail Baron tournament chastising us to keep it down because the players were trying to concentrate. On Rail Baron. "Uh, yea, ok."

It's certainly a different time. A box of counters and a hex sheet with roads and rail and hillsides scrawled out in as much detail as a crayon can convey is hard pressed to catch an eye in the modern market.

There's a Games Workshop store near my house. 100% GW stuff. It open just after the 2008 economic fun times. I was quite amazed that they opened, especially when they opened, figuring folks at the time had better things to do than spend $80 on a set of plastic tanks.

But, shows you what I know. They're still here obviously doing enough business to keep the owner/operator invested enough to keep it open.

Closest thing was have to a game store (besides the GW store) is a local Barnes and Noble, and it's dominated by miniature games. There's some Star Wars game, with VERY NICE miniatures. I just can't fathom ponying up the $20-30 a pop for them. But what do I know. $5 for a "micro game" ala GEV in 1981 is about $14 today. And I certainly didn't hesitate to drop $40 (at the time) for AHL. But I was in High School with $$$ from my Dad, so, you know, different value system. So, what do I know.

The hobby has matured, and the market grown. There's more to a game than mechanics, and folks expect nice components and a flashy presentation.

I'm not familiar with the Wooden Ships rules, but I bet that could be release today as a miniatures game, especially if it had "Pirate Bounty" or something equally romantic. Call it "Letters of Marque".

Same game, just different layout. Cut out any rules on starving crews and scurvy (assuming there were such rules).

The pastime now is to adventure and frolic and have fun, not so much pick a point in time and re-enact it.