View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2005, 02:15 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 0
castlebravo Citizen
Sigg- I think your surface area vs. hard points ratios are right on the money.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Oz:
Shouldn't the available surface area be altered by the hull configuration?
I calculate surface area by configuration. I also try and estimate surface area based on a configuration of multiple substructures. So one ship is built around a number of basic geometric substructures. For instance a single ship might be three large cylinders (cargo holds/propulsion systems) mounted underneath an oblong box (main superstructure) with another smaller oblong box mounted on top (forecastle/bridge decks). I use the general dimensions of the substructures to calculate total dimensions, mass, volume, surface area. I also try and guesstimate the number of hard points that can engage by direction or line of sight—bow guns, stern guns, port guns, starboard guns, dorsal guns, and ventral guns—based on the layout of the substructures.

Quote:
Originally posted by far-trader:
I'd say lose half the hardpoints for civilian ships.
For me, this is not a engineering rule, but a design consideration. Civilian ships have less mounted weapons because the ship is not intended for combat, but for economic profit. Every credit spent on weapons and their associated systems and supplies makes a civilian ship less profitable. There is an implicit economic impulse to only mount the number of weapons absolutely necessary for self-protection. Since there is no physical/engineering reason why the surface area couldn’t be used for a mounted weapon, there should not be a engineering rule that demands it. In other words, don’t tell the naval architect how to suck the egg. He is compelled not to use hard points anyway.

Quote:
Originally posted by far-trader:
Large hatches such as for small craft bays and cargo holds.
Agreed. I also think sensor and communication arrays, and propulsion nozzles should reduce available surface area and therefore available hard points.