View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Ah, it was my own house rule [img]smile.gif[/img]

I was just checking FF&S1 because it has the shapes and modifiers and surface area. However the way it did surface area didn't take the shape into account. Unless it was some errata I missed.

Surface area was strictly 100 times the material volume which was based on displacement. I added the material volume modifier from the configuration table, as well as for the streamlining (x1.0 for US, x1.1 for SL, x1.3 for AF). FF&S1 only modified the surface area for Airframes (to account for the lifting surface/wing area).

So, for what it's worth, using the FF&S MVM as a guide for the surface area of the configurations:

2.0 for Open Frame/Dispersed
1.3 for Needle
1.5 for Slab/Wedge
1.1 for Cylinder
1.2 for Box
1.0 for Sphere
1.2 for Disc/Flattened Sphere
1.4 for Close Structure

Except for the Open Frame/Dispersed hull form all the others are fractional and round down to 1 if you don't want to be fussy. And the Open Frame/Dispersed hull form while having more surface area may not be the most useful of surfaces, much of it pointing inside at your other hull structures [img]smile.gif[/img]

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012