View Single Post
Old July 30th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Hokay....I just reread the jumpspace article Miller wrote in JTAS 24. It covers everything from the physics of jumpspace, a jump, then equipment needed and what they do, and all the angles on what and why goes wrong jumping.

From the article I have a theory on jumping into and out of empty hexes here: that we make it really hard for no good reason other than perhaps somewhere we heard that it should be. By this article it sounds like jumping in and out of empty hexes is easier than in and out of systems since you don't have all the variables of gravity and synching orbital planes to worry about.

I think if there is a difficulty at all about non-star to star jumps it is merely in ensuring you have a place to eventually precipitate into that has fuel sources available or you'll run out of gas and die. There is nothing in the article regarding empty hex jumping or it being all that hard.

I have to admit I may have made it that way once long ago as a way to make rifts challenging to cross and thereby isolate certain areas for various reasons so only especially stalwart and daring travellers would attempt the crossing. I think sometimes "rules" generate in this game for a lot of reasons and become some sort of quasi-canon because we all argue them so often and for so long.

And the multiple versions of the game don't help - I'm assuming we are using the original CT rules, and therefore MT/MGT/Gurps/etc.. may have something else to add but may not be part of the rules we will be playing by? Or is the difficulty on jumping empty hexes a houserule as it is IMTU?

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+