View Single Post
Old July 30th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
I could see them sending an STL mission out to make that asteroid beacon you suggested, using some gravitic tech to make its mass appear more than it really is. Big problem w that STL mission is that if you make it go relatively fast to get there, you also have to carry fuel to make it STOP (w no grav help from any star system or planets) in the location where you want it in empty space.
That's just a question of how long it takes to get there. You accelerate until you've spent half your fuel, then coast for as long as it take, the decelerate with the other half of your fuel.

And if you're boosting an actual gravity source (i.e. an asteroid), you can jump to and from that in mid-flight, ferrying extra fuel. Though if you're boositng an ice asteroid, that wouldn't be necessary.

But yes, it's not something I'd expect governments to undertake unless they take an exceptionally long view.

Hans