Thread: So, uh...
View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2016, 06:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
creativehum Citizen+creativehum Citizen+creativehum Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flg View Post
Traveller had tables to build some aspects of a setting, but no advice (which is in the part that you conveniently replaced with "..." when you quoted me). A proper creative toolkit isn't just a bunch of tools, it's also instructions and advice on how to use them.

Don't kid yourself that you were somehow better off or are somehow smarter for having nothing to help you figure it out in the 1970s. You weren't.
Without doubt original Traveller was a toolkit without instructions. I do think that Traveller Book 0: An Introduction to Traveller was a solid step in the right direction for an instruction set. But it might not be as solid as the material in 5e.

That said, original Traveller game out of a specific hobby mindset. And by that I mean, the publishers assumed anyone buying it already had a) a familiarity with war-games and probably D&D; b) a familiarity with the pulp adventure SF books of the previous three decades. Those were the original sourcebooks that people used as the soil to build their own campaigns.

I'm not arguing your point, flg. I'm agreeing with it. As I said to some friends recently, all my Traveller blogging is basically me trying to fill in all the gaps that were assumed for the game in 1977 and never stated clearly. But I do think it's worth keeping in mind how different the hobby circumstances were back then.