Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   In the OTU (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Galaxiad General Discussion (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=38457)

robject November 9th, 2017 11:53 AM

Galaxiad General Discussion

Surprisingly, I didn't see a thread dealing with the Galaxiad in general.

I'll open it with this question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulsyus (Post 576981)
Is there going to be any material bridging Martin's work on 1248 to the 1900 Galaxiad, or is there just going to be a dive into the later period with a generalised sourcebook providing a framework as to what passed in the 600+ years between those eras?

Probably the latter. But: note that the term "Galaxiad" refers to a period reenactment wafer network. This gives Marc a vehicle to range over different time periods, including the golden era. Theoretically that could be used to tie up some loose ends (?) without needing a comprehensive sourcebook into every era.

mike wightman November 9th, 2017 03:02 PM

It's difficult to talk about the Galaxiad when all us poor proles have is a two page document released a long time ago, if we are lucky, while those inner circle illuminati throw us the fish heads and laugh...

more seriously, without more to go by the setting can not be discussed by the rank and file. The ramifications of some of the T5 technologies up to TL20-21 are open to discussion, but we don't know how the setting will incorporate them.

Will the Galaxiad open up the whole galaxy so we can find out more about the Essaray, the Abyssals etc?

Has Grandfather hidden himself away because he fears his children and grandchildren (MgT canon has pretty much established that the statement Grandfather kept careful count is nonsense - unless MgT Secret of the Ancients isn't canonical), or is it due to his interaction with older races...

has there been a greater diaspora of humanity since learning to live with Virus and incorporating machine intelligence...

are there human enclaves that embrace transhumanism (wafer tech, personality downloads, memory capture, artificial bodies, clones, augmentation, genetic modification, psionics)...

are there human enclaves that reject transhumanism (see list above)...

for human in the above two substitute any OTU race

in the absence of an Imperium to scrub worlds have some of the very high threat situations presented in AotI re-occurred and actually gained a foothold...

did the Zhodani ever finish their dance...

is there a 'war in the heavens'...

mike wightman November 9th, 2017 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robject (Post 576987)
But: note that the term "Galaxiad" refers to a period reenactment wafer network. This gives Marc a vehicle to range over different time periods, including the golden era. Theoretically that could be used to tie up some loose ends (?) without needing a comprehensive sourcebook into every era.

Better yet, the contradictions can be explained as slight variations in the historical data.
It's a bit like our vision of the dark ages is, for the most part, wholly wrong unless you take the time to actually read accurate historical records - many of which are biased due to the original authors back in the day being biased when writing their version of current events (see the real history of post roman Britain up to the reign of HenryVIII), then there are common misconceptions that are just plain wrong but they have been repeated so many times people today think them true - medieval people thinking the world was flat for example.

A history of charted space is very different if written by an Imperial author, a Zhodani author or a Solomani author.

Even some of the glaring tech paradigm changes can almost be forgiven if viewed through a distorted historical lens.

robject November 9th, 2017 03:35 PM

Precisely so.

Quint November 9th, 2017 03:58 PM

Originally I was looking forward to the Galaxaiad to help clear up what canon was, given some of the mess that came with MgT, GT, and T4 all weaving in and around each other after MT and TNE. That said I kind of care less about that now and look at it as an opportunity to hopefully get Marc's take on Known Space, Agent of the Imperium was eye-opening and enjoyable. It gave a fair amount of hope that the Imperium and Known Space was actually pretty scifi rather than... heck I don't even know how to describe what it had turned into in my mind.

I'm intrigued by the idea of a higher tech level, I also like the idea of actual new content as opposed to re-worked version of old content and concepts. I'm less interested in a system-by-system description of the Galaxy and more interested in a explanation of how it all hangs together and "where the action is".

D.

Blue Ghost November 9th, 2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 577002)
It's difficult to talk about the Galaxiad when all us poor proles have is a two page document released a long time ago, if we are lucky, while those inner circle illuminati throw us the fish heads and laugh...

Will the Galaxiad open up the whole galaxy so we can find out more about the Essaray, the Abyssals etc?

*much snippage*

All I can say it .... https://youtu.be/MKx3JlTnHbc

In all seriousness, it sounds like another story vehicle to keep the OTU setting moving forward.

I'm still a CT 3I kind of guy. I've read the TNE setting, the GT take on Traveller and a few other flavor pieces here and there, and the more I read about advancing the Traveller-verse, the more I'm a hobbyist / fan of the old 3I as fertile ground for stories and adventure.

I'm curious if perhaps getting the games rule set back to a GURPS like flavor with some alternative backdrops might be the answer for introducing the Galaxiad.

robject November 9th, 2017 06:42 PM

First, a quote from Marc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc, 2016
That cursed canon I need to conform to.

So there's things I can say about Galaxiad, and things I can't say. Sometimes I know things that I can say, but unless someone asks, I forget that I know it and can say it. You get the idea.

So for instance I can tell you:

* the Wave messed things up, but good.

* the focus is on the Republic of Regina, which is an "empire" of over 100 worlds.

* the Republic of Regina reaches TL 17 somewhere around 1900. I don't know how it reaches TL 17, though. Trade? Research? It's highly possible in my mind that someone else invented the Hop Drive, and the Republic has to go barter for the technology.

* the Republic is built on a few core Strong Worlds that have attracted a sphere of influence. And it's kind of a mess.

* the Republic is psionic-friendly, and the Cronor subsector worlds are "Zhodani" in name only, if that.

* in my mind, an ideal exploration ship includes a Collector and a Black Globe.

* the Duchy of Mora is a shell of its former self, but is a lone Strong World in the middle of Wilderness. I think that traffic from Rhylanor to Mora is low, and routes are not patrolled well.

* Virus qua Virus is no more, and the term is long gone. Self-aware starships are as possible via TL16 tech as by Cym tech.

* there are approximately 40 parsecs' distance average between neighboring empires in any particular direction, and those empires are similarly a few subsectors in size.

* small empires (each more or less half a sector in size), centered on a few core Strong Worlds. The smaller of these are typically on the verge of collapse. One empire each in these sectors.

Stiatlchepr
Ziafrplians
Spinward Marches
Karleaya
Hlakoi
Dark Nebula
Solomani Rim
Daibei
Ilelish [centered on Suerrat]
Core
Vland
Meshan (probably half Human Half Vargr)
Ley

and:

Three? in K'kree territory
Two? in Hiver Territory

The Pakkrat November 10th, 2017 02:50 PM

Guessing

I'm guessing that the Vargr Extents that became the Vargr Splinters, then Vargr Shards and are left now in the Galaxiad with the Vargr Shambles. The Vargr Enclaves, distant and out there as they are downgraded to the Forgotten Territories.

I'm guessing that if asked, many Vargr of any ethnicity would long to see or hear of at least one forming or reforming empire, other state or conglomeration of worlds. The Golden Era Vargr worlds, remembered by Vargr in 1900, are but a cub's dream and a nightmare best forgotten by other sophonts.

But out there in the Coreward edge of Charted Space has to have something, right? What brave, lupine souls will brave them from the inherited Safes? Will those that remain see the return of the bold Corsairs and true Charisma again? Or have the Aekhu and Gvegh descendants have accepted the collars of the Republic of Regina and other Human states?

I'm guessing that my Galaxiad Vargr character will snap his or her chain leash and rediscover the Vargr homeworld once more. The legends of Lair have not died in their heart.

Condottiere November 10th, 2017 03:06 PM

It's a dog eat dog galaxy.

Reban November 10th, 2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robject (Post 577040)
So there's things I can say about Galaxiad, and things I can't say. Sometimes I know things that I can say, but unless someone asks, I forget that I know it and can say it. You get the idea.

Rumsfeldian.....

But from the rest of your description of the post-Virus, post-Wave, post-Hop universe it reminds me of ST:TNG....

Focus on republic...high technology...core strong worlds...exploration ship with collector and black globe...

Galaxiad itself has a flavor of holodeck adventures to it....

....but obviously that'll be in a Traveller way.

Most interesting will probably be Hop drive's effect on the size and spread of empires.